+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Honda 600f4i No Spark

I know there are about 10 other posts on this but none of them answer this question. I have 2002 Honda 600 f4i that I want to start initially to make sure it runs before I tear into the internals. I just put a completely new fuel system on that works. I have none of the ignition parts. Almost everything is a hot wired job with stock everything ecu etc etc etc.

-Clutch
    -Side Stand
    -Tip over sensor

I already know about the Anti theft and I took care of it using a 9V battery. When I connect the 9V to the anti theft and I put the start wires in the on position the pump primes itself but when I touch the wires together to crank there is no spark. I have double and triple checked all my connections and the motor is pretty much brand new so I don't think anything would have gone faulty. But any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Are the injectors firing?

If you're not getting ignition or injectors you may want to check at the crank sensor signal and wiring.

If you get injectors but not spark it may be a problem with the ignition system itself, see if you can verify that the coils actually work, and that you have the (-) terminals wired correctly, and that you're getting switched (+) to the coils at ignition keyed 'on.'

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Two questions...first how should I check to see if the injectors are firing? Pull them? Second what do you mean by (-) terminals on the coils? All the coils have connectors that should keep the (-) where its supposed to be and the (+) where its supposed to be right? Also when I measured the voltage in the wires yesterday with it in the on position I was getting like 12ish V in each both wires going to the coil in cylinder 1...

Originally posted by Alan_RHIT:
    Two questions...first how should I check to see if the injectors are firing? Pull them?
    You should be able to hear them if you listen carefully.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

The injectors momentarily see +5v across the two terminals when they fire. A decent volt meter will pick up at least a flutter of voltage change during cranking (it'll probably register as +1.x volt), or an O-scope, or put a stethoscope or even screwdriver against them and put your ear against them - they make a *click* sound when they fire. You could also pull them and leave them plugged in, make sure fuel pump is disabled though - DO NOT SET YOURSELVES ON FIRE.

As for the coils, if you're getting +12 at both terminals with ignition keyed on that's fine, depending on the type of coil (I'm not familiar with the F4i) the power to one lead will be momentarily interrupted, and through magic, this causes the coil to fire.

If you messed with the ECU or the ignition amplifier or rectifier by changing parts it's possible these wires got switched or they are not connected to the right place at all, double-check that too.

If you put in a standalone system see if there's a way that you can test fire the coils, and start at the ECU with a meter and work your way towards the coils making sure that the signal is coming through correctly.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

So i measured the voltage across the two terminals on the coil the wire that runs to the battery is measuring 12ish V when in the on position the wire going to the ecu is seeing 0V and when I crank the 12V goes to like close to 0V...is that right? I didn't pull the injectors but with the coils out it reeks of fuel so i'm going to guess they are firing...any other suggestions?

I tested the ignition pulse generator last night with a multimeter and I only got like .03 or .02 volts when its supposed to be much larger at .7 volts...I don't have a honda peak voltage adapter for my multi meter but I believe I should still be able to see the .7 volts without the adapter...Is this my issue and where can I buy an ignition pulse generator?

Hi Alan,

I would be very surprised if the pulse generator (crank sensor) is the issue. These are generally pretty robust and as long as there is not a break in the wire they are almost never the issue. The signal coming from the sensor is a sin wave so without a scope or the ability to record a maximum voltage with you multimeter you may not see the peaks.

Also, both the injectors and ignition coils should measure 12v when the ECU is "on" or the engine is cranking. One side of both of these will drop to 0v when they charge (or open in the case of injectors).

Good luck.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

I just realized i measured the voltage in DC instead of AC..I've done a bit more research and I see that the Cam pulse generator is more likely to fail...when I get home i'm going to check this....When I measure the wires at the connector I get about 12 VDC at each wire that is the live wire and the other wires going to the coils...when I crank the voltages in both wires drop to just above 1 VDC...any other additional suggestions would be awesome...thanks for the input...

I'm not really sure how you're referencing the 12v lead to the coils, but if your measuring from the 12v lead to ground (like the engine block) and the voltage is dropping to 1v, that's your problem. That voltage should stay pretty much at battery voltage. You either have a significant resistance in the line somewhere or it's being shut off during cranking.
    Jon Rawlings
    Electromotive, Inc.
    Kansas State Univ Formula SAE 2001-2004

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast