+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit: Who's bringing something new/innovative/unique?

Hey guys. Hope all of your cars are nearing completion, or at least approaching an operable state! I'll be flying back to Detroit to catch the big show. Can't wait to see what everyone brings this year.

I'm gearing up for another round as amateur photographer, this time I'll actually have a media pass c/o Racecar Engineering. They used my shots for almost all of last year's Detroit article.

I'm hoping some of you will share your new/innovative/unique designs with me ahead of time so I can make sure to catch them in 1's and 0's. Examples are things like Lehigh's carbon flexure suspension joints, TAMU's supercharged single, UWA's wild suspension... things above and beyond the cookie cutter designs.

If you don't want to spill the beans to the whole forum, feel free to send me a PM. Make sure to include your team name/number and what I should be looking for. Hopefully I'll be able to snap some great shots this year. I've been practicing with a new teleconvertor and polarized filter with some great results...

See everyone in a few days!

Here is a link to our thread. I'd say we have a pretty unique powertrain this year.

Kettering's Thread
    Kettering University FSAE Alumni

Yep John, that certainly looks photo worthy to me. I've had my eye on that Mahle powertrain since it was released.

Sorry to hear you had that time crunch on getting the motor in your hands. Hope everything works out in time.

I got a handful of PMs already. I'll start a list of things to look for. Thanks guys, keep the notes coming.

While our car won't have a full set of them, I belive we'll be bringing one of our full carbon composite (lug ends and all) a-arms. Also have some unique a-arm geometry goin on.

And of course I personally enjoy my slick 100% universal / modular DFM wheel assembly haha.

Univ of Colorado, Boulder. Car 99
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I'll be real interested to hear why you chose 25" vsal length at the front and 50-60" vsal length at the rear...

Matt

I'll be happy to explain. It is of similar length in the front.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Hi Dan,
    Very slightly off subject, but keep your eye open for suitable submissions to Pat's chamber of horrors =]
    By this I mean poor design solutions, either deliberate or in ignorance. I am particularly interested in nasty compromises that teams have had to make because of other design considerations.
    I use these to discuss and illustrate the column I write on the FSG site.
    I don't identify teams as I'm not trying to embarass people, but use them as examples that teams shouldnt follow.
    An easy example would be "Rod ends in bending" but I have lots of pictures of those =]
    Regards
    Pat

PS, Good luck to all teams at Romeo this coming weekend. Remember to keep safe and have fun!
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Well, our car is pretty fantastic, but when it comes to innovations, I think our pushbar is probably the most advanced part of the entire car.

Look forward to seeing everyone in Deetroit!
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Originally posted by PatClarke:
    An easy example would be "Rod ends in bending" but I have lots of pictures of those =]
    Regards
    Pat
    And its amazing how many teams still use them!
    Andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast