+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WSC Series

Today we got a mail about a new Formula Series:
    http://www.wsc-series.com/

Only one static event, all the dynamics of a normal FSAE event and a pursuit and knockout competition.
    Moreover they accept even 3rd year cars...

Sounds really interesting for using last years cars.
    Chris Doukas
    U.o.P Racing Team

Today we got a mail about a new Formula Series:
    http://www.wsc-series.com/

Only one static event, all the dynamics of a normal FSAE event and a pursuit and knockout competition.
    Moreover they accept even 3rd year cars...

Sounds really interesting for using last years cars.
    Chris Doukas
    U.o.P Racing Team

Finally, the event I was waiting for impatiently, for years!

Mixture of a typical FSAE event and real racing comp. Especially the chase mode sounds very delightful.
    What's your point of view, who is interested in competing? Hopefully safety standards are better than at FS-ATA 09...
    At least the racetrack is a quite modern facility.

We're just planning a roadmap for a full update of our 2008 car (general overhaul, 2010 engine specs for fuel economy adaption, shred of 10 kilos of excess poundage etc...) to get the carbon b**ch back on track again

Hm, four weeks before FSUK...

I guess most teams will be quite busy, but if some alumni take their old cars there, it could be an interesting event.
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

Here is a little insider's info on how the SAE & and all the SAE Formula Event Organizers (FS/UK; FSAE-Australasia; FSAE-Brasil; FSAE-Italy; & FSG) view wheel to wheel 'racing' of FSAE/FS cars:

This great learning experience we call FSAE is just that: a learning experience. These student designed and built cars are not intended to 'race' on a track at the same time, under 'wheel to wheel' conditions.

Look at the Endurance event DNF statistics and you will quickly realize these cars have a hard time finishing with NO adverse outside influences. Now add in the rigorous demands of actual open wheel 'racing' coupled with the less than perfected skills of very inexperienced drivers and you have a real recipe for disaster!

If you truly value this FSAE series for the hands-on learning experience it provides, then use your better judgement and stay away from any type of event which puts two or more FSAE/FS cars in close proximity to each other at speed. All we need is to have one racing type of accident where a student gets seriuosly injured or worse... and the press will be all over it.

You can bet that when the press uses the phrase 'FSAE car' and 'killed in an accident' together in the same sentance, there will be serious repercussions on all fronts... What will your university say (or do) about such news? How will that news affect your ability to attract sponsors, or sponsorship money? How much will the insurance premiums go up for the SAE to host a FSAE competition? Will the SAE even be able to GET insurance? How do you look your teammate's parents in the eye and tell them that you honestly thought it was a good idea to do this, and didn't see any way that Johnny could have been killed participating...

If you enjoy the FSAE/FS experience for what it is, then use your head and be safe. Participating in Solo events is a fine way to demonstrate these car's true potential. This is what they were designed to do best. Don't let your excitement cloud your better judgement.

Please do not get me wrong here. I have a lot of respect for the very, very talented students who compete in FSAE, and the fine cars that are turned out every year! The students (& the cars) are the finest in the world. But, let's put it in perspective. A FSAE student team is not a professional race team with years (decades) of experience under their belts. They do not actively race their cars every weekend of the summer building on their driving, wrenching, and engineering experience along the way. You have to admit, compared to a 'pro' race team you are all pretty far down the learning curve. It is my hope that by pointing out your limitations, you will be around long enough to get to be one of the seriously experienced teams (or team members).

I personally enjoy FSAE because of the great diversity of the cars that compete. This is no 'cookie cutter' race car series like what I deal with in my day job. If you want this student competition to be around for another 25+ years then be safe and act responsibly when you operate and demonstrate your car's performance potential. Do not try and make your car or the FSAE Student Competition do something it was never designed to.

OK, I will get off my soap box now. Let the comments roll...
    Steve Fox
    FSAE-MI Chief Design Judge
    Formula Bharat Chief Design Judge (Coming in 2017!)
    FS-India Chief Design Judge (NO further association)
    FSG Chief Design Judge (ret.)
    FSA Chief Design Judge (ret.)
    FSAE-VIR Design Event Captain (ret.)
    SAE Industrial Lecturer
    http://students.sae.org/chapters/lec.../lecturers.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Fox:
    If you enjoy the FSAE/FS experience for what it is, then use your head and be safe. Participating in Solo events is a fine way to demonstrate these car's true potential. This is what they were designed to do best. Don't let your excitement cloud your better judgement.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've advised FormulaSAE and BajaSAE for 10 years, and if you want to race wheel-to-wheel, join or start a BajaSAE team. With only 10 HP, BajaSAE cars are limited to about 50-60 kph, and with a full roll cage (25mm dia, 3mm wall thickness) they can take the bumps and bruises.

It's almost impossible to roll a Formula car under normal solo conditions, but put them wheel-to-wheel and you're going to end up with some rubber side up. I've witnessed a rolled FSAE car once at Michigan a few years back, it was at fairly low speed yet it was terrifying.

I agree with Steve 100%. FSAE cars aren't designed for this.
    Bob Paasch
    Faculty Advisor
    Global Formula Racing team/Oregon State SAE

Show a little child some chocolate and say this is not for you.

That is the same situation most of the students think of Formula SAE. Built a racecar for one or two events a year!

Is this actually wheel to wheel? It seems to me that the pursuit or knockout event may just be an elimination race of one car vs another car in fastest time but running seperatly, like a bracket, a challenge event. Is there more information on this?
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

If this is Wheel to Wheel someone is going to get hurt, if not maimed or killed. I've seen enough thrown wheels, broken suspension components, ridiculously bad setups, and minimal crash structures to know that these cars have no business being anywhere close to each other at speed.

As far as driver safety goes, FSAE has a near perfect track record. That is something other SAE competitions (like solar car) can't claim. No one should jeopardize that.

I tend to agree with the more responsible people on this board...

That said, a pro solo event with mirrored courses would be awesome and safe.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast