+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Rabbit Hub Splines

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the spline dimensions for the Volkswagen Rabbit style? I'm trying to fit our hub over a Taylor Outer Tulip, and I'm not sure what dimensions to put on there. Taylor's drawing only calls out 'VW spline' or something like that.

Thanks
    Scott
    Portland State - 2009-11
    Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. - Mario Andret

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the spline dimensions for the Volkswagen Rabbit style? I'm trying to fit our hub over a Taylor Outer Tulip, and I'm not sure what dimensions to put on there. Taylor's drawing only calls out 'VW spline' or something like that.

Thanks
    Scott
    Portland State - 2009-11
    Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek. - Mario Andret

not going to be able to give you the info, but seems like finding a spline would be as easy as going to the local pick n' pull.

Call up Taylor Race, they might have the drawing handy. We have a set of those flanges on our 2009 car, I think they are Beetle splines also, you're not going to try to make them or anything, are you?

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

I'm making a custom hub that will have internal spline dimensions to match the external spline of the VW.

I could try and call out "match VW spline" on a drawing for a local machine shop, but I don't think it's going to get me very far

I'm guessing that it's some european standard and Taylor has the info. I'll call them Monday, but I'd like to find the info before then.

Thanks for the replies!
    Scott
    Portland State - 2009-11

We also used that spline on our car last year. I can't remember for sure but I believe we did actually send the VW part to be measured along with the hubs to be splined.
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

Interesting. That is definitely a possibility, I didn't even think of that.
    Portland State - 2009-11

Even if you have the correct spline data on the drawing, I'd also reccomend sending the VW male spline for them to reference so they can check the fit & tolerances are spot on.

I found an ANSI spec, now I need to dig up info on how their spec works.
    Portland State - 2009-11

Scott.
    If you still need spine data , give me a shout
    Scotty

Taylor race
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast