+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rising rate ..wheel or rocker??

I have a slight doubt regarding rising rate. Does it refer to only the wheel rate or also to the Installation ratio of the rocker.

Rising rate - Increase of wheel rate with increase in ride (bump).
    Installation ratio = Spring travel/Wheel travel
    Installation ratio falls with ride
    Travel at spring end falls with ride.
    Much more travel required at wheel end to provide same travel at spring.
    Thus it seems that a falling Installation ratio would be ideal.

But ,
    Wheel rate = spring rate * (Installation ratio)^2

I'm confused as to whether the installation ratio should be falling or rising?
    With my current geometry I'm getting a falling installation ratio, which I feel is making the wheel go up more for a definite amount of spring travel. This seems correct but then I'm getting a falling wheel rate. Please help. Correct me wherever I'm wrong.

Thanks

Eklavya Singh
    Technical Head
    Formula Manipal

I have a slight doubt regarding rising rate. Does it refer to only the wheel rate or also to the Installation ratio of the rocker.

Rising rate - Increase of wheel rate with increase in ride (bump).
    Installation ratio = Spring travel/Wheel travel
    Installation ratio falls with ride
    Travel at spring end falls with ride.
    Much more travel required at wheel end to provide same travel at spring.
    Thus it seems that a falling Installation ratio would be ideal.

But ,
    Wheel rate = spring rate * (Installation ratio)^2

I'm confused as to whether the installation ratio should be falling or rising?
    With my current geometry I'm getting a falling installation ratio, which I feel is making the wheel go up more for a definite amount of spring travel. This seems correct but then I'm getting a falling wheel rate. Please help. Correct me wherever I'm wrong.

Thanks

Eklavya Singh
    Technical Head
    Formula Manipal

Hi,

i would not think to the problem in term of wheel or spring movement.

You just know that :

Motion Ratio = Wheel movement/Spring movement = MR

It's just the opposite value than your installation ratio:

Installation Ratio = Spring mov/Wheel mov =IR

Wheel Rate cab be said to be( we are taking as negligible a derivative term of second order):

Wheel Rate = Spring Rate/(MR^2) = Spring Rate*(IR^2)

So to have a rising rate at ground (which is what you actually are looking for) you just have to look for an "MR" which is falling down with wheel movement or a "IR" which is rising with wheel movement.

Normally you can obtain this changing a little Rocker design, in order to keep the same suspension geometry.

Thanks

One final thing - (Spring displacement / wheel travel) i.e. Installation ratio should rise with bump or droop?

With my rocker geometry its rising with ride = 50mm and falling with ride = -50mm.

P.S. - I'm using WinGeo 3

Bump.

Normally with this kynd of design you want to make smaller body movement in braking. something like a bump stop.

WinGeo has also a lot of good analysis features which can be used to check suspension behaviour.

Good Luck!

Are you sure?

I'm getting a falling IR with bump. I tried various iterations with bellcrank geometries. Doesn't seem to increase in any case. And it's a very simple geometry. Right angled bellcrank with pushrod, bellcrank ad spring in the same plane and a .935 static IR. The chassis goes down 50 mm and it falls to .545

You can make a simple calculation to prove to yourself whether a rising/falling IR leads to a rising falling wheel rate.

Wheel Rate = Spring Rate/MR^2 or Wheel Rate = Spring Rate * IR^2 where IR = 1/MR. Motion ration is defined as wheel displacement/spring displacement and the opposite for installation ratio. So, if you have a 200 lb/in spring, with a static IR of 0.935 that falls to 0.545 at -50mm travel ( i would assume this is jounce, or spring compression, or bump, whatever you want to call it) you would have:

Static WR = 200 lb/in * 0.935^2 = 175 lb/in
    WR @ full jounce = 200 lb/in * 0.545 = 59.405 lb/in

This would appear to me to be a (severely) falling rate suspension (wheel rate changes by more than 60%) . For a rising rate, your wheel rate would increase with more jounce. So what you are looking for is either a decrease of motion ratio with jounce or an increase of installation ratio with jounce in order to have a rising rate suspension. Make sure you are using proper sign convention. Chassis moving down or wheel moving up puts the spring into compression so this would be the jounce or bump mode.
    Stefan Nasello
    Queens University Racing - Project Manager 2009
    Rennstall Esslingen - Suspension Team 2010

www.qfsae.com
    www.rennstall-esslingen.de

Ya I just realised. Thanks for the major design error correction.

P.S. to Silente - I went to Modena this time when we came to FSAE Italy. Really awesome place.

yeah, good place to study and to work.

Ferrari has a great appeal here around.

But there other more beautiful places in italy, trust me!

Best wishes!

Yeah I know. We went to Rome, Vatican, Pisa and Maranello obviously for the competition. Very beautiful. Will see you guys at da competition next year. Ciao

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast