+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with FSAE n00bs?

So I was having a discussion with someone and it got me thinking. How do you deal with FSAE n00bs?

Lets face it, we've all been there before where we think we have a clue, but we don't. When you think FSAE you think, "Formula Race Car!".

I think it breaks down something like this.

FSAE: You first learn you can have a maximum displacement up to 610cc.
    Internal Light Bulb: Sweet lets get a 600cc engine!!! R6 is soooo FAST!

FSAE: You learn that you can go forced induction
    Internal Light Bulb: We need a turbo!! Maximum boost that the engine can handle!

FSAE: You learn there's a mandatory restrictor
    Internal Light Bulb: So? I'll just make a little less power!

FSAE: You find out about carbon fiber chassis/monocoques.
    Internal Light Bulb: We have to do carbon fiber because its lighter and looks better!!!

FSAE: You drive last years car.
    Internal Light Bulb: Wow this thing is so much faster than my civic, if we build something just like this with a turbo we will win at the competition!!

FSAE: You learn about some teams going with dirtbike motors
    Internal Light Bulb: Wow those things are so light and they produce one million torque, we need one of these....with a turbo!!!

Feel free to add or flame

/flame suit on(B17.5 Compliant)

So I was having a discussion with someone and it got me thinking. How do you deal with FSAE n00bs?

Lets face it, we've all been there before where we think we have a clue, but we don't. When you think FSAE you think, "Formula Race Car!".

I think it breaks down something like this.

FSAE: You first learn you can have a maximum displacement up to 610cc.
    Internal Light Bulb: Sweet lets get a 600cc engine!!! R6 is soooo FAST!

FSAE: You learn that you can go forced induction
    Internal Light Bulb: We need a turbo!! Maximum boost that the engine can handle!

FSAE: You learn there's a mandatory restrictor
    Internal Light Bulb: So? I'll just make a little less power!

FSAE: You find out about carbon fiber chassis/monocoques.
    Internal Light Bulb: We have to do carbon fiber because its lighter and looks better!!!

FSAE: You drive last years car.
    Internal Light Bulb: Wow this thing is so much faster than my civic, if we build something just like this with a turbo we will win at the competition!!

FSAE: You learn about some teams going with dirtbike motors
    Internal Light Bulb: Wow those things are so light and they produce one million torque, we need one of these....with a turbo!!!

Feel free to add or flame

/flame suit on(B17.5 Compliant)

You do the only thing you can do:

You tell them that in every scenario there are benefits as well as downsides. Every single thing you mention there has some kind of downside, whether it be money, time, increased work (not always a bad thing), etc.

Ben

The biggest problem I saw was getting people to understand it was necessary to do things right the first time. Eventually you end up with 500 bandaids on top of each other only because you figured on fixing something later.

Also, to any n00bs reading this, the difference between .001" and .1" is not negligible. Make parts according to prints please and ask if something is not in tolerance. Sometimes it isn't critical, and other times... remake it.

OMG we can puts wings on our car and have like 500 lbs of downforce NOOOO problem!!! Then put a turbo on it!!! The car will be sooo fast you guys!!!

Zips Racing 2009-2014
    Jorts and Tank-top model 2013-2014

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Kolodner:
    You do the only thing you can do:

You tell them that in every scenario there are benefits as well as downsides. Every single thing you mention there has some kind of downside, whether it be money, time, increased work (not always a bad thing), etc.

Ben </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That works if the other person actually realizes they have no clue what they're talking about. If they think they know what they're doing, thats where the problem comes in. When you tell someone that a turbo is extra weight, tunning, time, reliability issue, packaging, etc...they're like "so? It makes more power". When you tell them that it doesn't make "more power" due to the restrictor and the restriction on forced induction they're like "this guy just told me that turbo's dont make more power....trololololol He doesnt know what hes talking about"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MegaDeath:
    OMG we can puts wings on our car and have like 500 lbs of downforce NOOOO problem!!! Then put a turbo on it!!! The car will be sooo fast you guys!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can sell you some scrap steel or lead if you want another 500 lbs of grip. Think of that skidpad time, assuming you have a big enough turbo to overcome all that downforce.
    Red & Blue Racing '08

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moose:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MegaDeath:
    OMG we can puts wings on our car and have like 500 lbs of downforce NOOOO problem!!! Then put a turbo on it!!! The car will be sooo fast you guys!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can sell you some scrap steel or lead if you want another 500 lbs of grip. Think of that skidpad time, assuming you have a big enough turbo to overcome all that downforce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lead isn't green. How about some ethanol?

We have a rule about complex things (aero, turbos, custom made engines)

If you make it and it proves to be reliable/beneficial, we will run it. But you need to develop it without using any team time, money, or resources and you still need to get your other projects done.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spetsnazos:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by moose:

I can sell you some scrap steel or lead if you want another 500 lbs of grip. Think of that skidpad time, assuming you have a big enough turbo to overcome all that downforce. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lead isn't green. How about some ethanol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tungsten. Much less volume
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast