+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with FSAE n00bs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AxelRipper:
    We have a rule about complex things (aero, turbos, custom made engines)

If you make it and it proves to be reliable/beneficial, we will run it. But you need to develop it without using any team time, money, or resources and you still need to get your other projects done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We had a guy that we told exactly the same thing. In the end all he did was research and try to prove to us that it is reliable/beneficial. When we asked him where he planned on putting all the turbo stuff he drew some hand sketches and said "look".

In the end he didn't do any of his work...lol.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atm92484:
    We had this guy....

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/t...10399141#57410399141

I told him to check out www.fsae.com - problem solved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    HAHA! What an epic thread! That link should be featured in the "If you are new here, click here and read this first..." thread as a warning to all who dare act "qwr".

Our last two Baja team leaders had about the same level of engine knowledge. One claimed the FSAE Mahle motor has a 30k rpm valvetrain and the other wholeheartedly believes his '04 TRX450R quad has a 17:1 c/r. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

We had a few members that thought there was a rule that the frame had to be cut in half at the end of competition. This rumor started floating around about three months before competion.

Come competition time we are all standing around the trailer, packed up and ready to head back home and one of the guys says so I guess we snuck out without having the frame cut in two. So I bs with him for a few thinking we was joking. Turns out he was serious.

I just wish everyone would read the rules. We wasted hundreds of hours because people just didn't know.

N00bs, hell, I recall a team leader who referred to the project as "F1 SAE" even towards the end of his stewardship. I think he also used "Indy" a lot when talking about it.

N00bs rolls off the tongue too easily. There should be a similar word for highly educated but clueless engineers. And I'm not just talking about FSAE guys, I still see this in the auto industry as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There should be a similar word for highly educated but clueless engineers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I typically use 'ass clown' to encompass that.

To be fair though, everyone in FSAE is a n00b in the grand scheme of things. Some more or less than others - but hey it's supposed to be a learning experience.

Don't think the question should be so much of, how do you deal with someone who is inexperienced, as much as how do you deal with someone who is stubborn, closed-minded, or unwilling to learn. Worse yet, how do you deal with someone who THINKS they know everything, and in reality are totally out to lunch?

Highly recommend that is a skill to work on because it sure as hell doesn't go away in industry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There should be a similar word for highly educated but clueless engineers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair though, everyone in FSAE is a n00b in the grand scheme of things. Some more or less than others - but hey it's supposed to be a learning experience.

Don't think the question should be so much of, how do you deal with someone who is inexperienced, as much as how do you deal with someone who is stubborn, closed-minded, or unwilling to learn. Worse yet, how do you deal with someone who THINKS they know everything, and in reality are totally out to lunch?

Highly recommend that is a skill to work on because it sure as hell doesn't go away in industry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a good PHD candidate :P
    Formula SAE: When you just can't get rid of a girlfriend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Worse yet, how do you deal with someone who THINKS they know everything, and in reality are totally out to lunch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sounds like a good PHD candidate :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey now...
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pennyman:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:

Highly recommend that is a skill to work on because it sure as hell doesn't go away in industry. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a good PHD candidate :P </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 -- So true.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast