+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone willing to part with their BOM/Cost Report?

As a new team, it'd be invaluable for us to get an overall idea for all the parts that will go into building this car. If any of you are willing, we'd love to purchase or otherwise procure a team's BOM or Cost Report or something along those lines. We promise not to reveal any of your secrets, and we're too dumb to steal them for ourselves. Thanks a million.

As a new team, it'd be invaluable for us to get an overall idea for all the parts that will go into building this car. If any of you are willing, we'd love to purchase or otherwise procure a team's BOM or Cost Report or something along those lines. We promise not to reveal any of your secrets, and we're too dumb to steal them for ourselves. Thanks a million.

There's a list of things that should be in the BOM in the rules appendix, and, new this year, was an electronic BOM in excel that will be required in future years.

and this after i spent all sorts of time making our BOM teh hotness this year.
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Good call. Thanks for the tip. I need to read that whole damn thing, don't I?

someone already offered to buy a cost report off of anyone willing....and I don't think there was anyone willing...

http://fsae.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/125607348/m/444604729...446047292#4446047292

...good luck.

-Nika

hate to beat a dead horse with the cost reporting thing, but, to revive the question, how do you actually determine machining time for your machined parts? We run on the assumption that our incompetent student machinists are about 50% slower than a professional machinist with tools and a drawing, thus, we use 2/3 of our actual machining time...thoughts?
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

yeah, we definately took the "incompetent student machinist" card into account when we did the cost report...but the amount of time we accounted for varied depending on what we made...(ie things that are easier to make that take us 20 min...we'll call 15) but generally, 2/3 of actual time is about right for us too.

I mean hey, if our designs were used for mass production, then they'd have professionals do this stuff in 1/2 the time it actually took us...and so the cost would be accurate...

...so, that's damn good enough for me...
    (my 2 cents)

-Nika

They'd get a good CNC program and knock them out in about a tenth of the time. Can your students machine an upright in half an hour? because that is 10x what is possible with a good CNC mill and code... Original post on this subject
    Jonathan Gray

Brunel Racing Team Principal 2004 - 2005

+ Reply to Thread