+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VIR Accel times

I was just browsing through the results from VIR and noticed that the acceleration times were extremely low. There is about a second difference between VIR's results and East/West's. I am assuming it's because it was downhill?

I was just browsing through the results from VIR and noticed that the acceleration times were extremely low. There is about a second difference between VIR's results and East/West's. I am assuming it's because it was downhill?

The distance for the accel event was set short. I think it was about 50 meters and slightly uphill.

Yeah, i believe that is right. All i know is i'd be pissed if i was there competing knowing the design of the car is for a 75m accel run.

That is more or less a surprise rule change; not cool. If that is the plan for next year, it should be in writing in the rule book.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

When we lined up to run, I asked the guy running the accel about the length, saying that it looked short. He assured me that he measured it out.....What are you gonna do? Everyone had to run it. There were obviously a lot of hickups for the VIR event but SAE did a great job rolling with it and making it the best it could be.

I don't think the fact that it was short hurt us at all, probably played to our advantage. Still, we hit 61mph in 2.9ish seconds////
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Cook:
    When we lined up to run, I asked the guy running the accel about the length, saying that it looked short. He assured me that he measured it out.....What are you gonna do? Everyone had to run it. There were obviously a lot of hickups for the VIR event but SAE did a great job rolling with it and making it the best it could be.

I don't think the fact that it was short hurt us at all, probably played to our advantage. Still, we hit 61mph in 2.9ish seconds//// </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah since you guys won accel in at both West and VIR i don't think it makes a big difference. I know i would have been bitching about it though if i was at VIR

Kinda off subject but the rumor mill tells me you guys didn't run traction control ethier.

Yeah....no traction control.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

Sooooo. Does anyone know if accel is going to be like this at VIR again?

Full length, 75 meters. Whether it's flat or not depends on your level.
    Terps Racing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Palaszynski:
    Full length, 75 meters. Whether it's flat or not depends on your level. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn i was hoping for a grade

+ Reply to Thread