+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ANSYS Problems

Hi, I`m having real problems with ANSYS workbench v7.1 running slow. I`m making a simple box section frame in Inventor (Making it as a single part) with bracing and applying loads to one end to get it to bend (I`m new to ansys).
    This works fine and I get valid results but if I try to increase the complexity of the frame or change the meshing it just sits on 25% complete for an eternity.
    Should I be modeling each member as a seperate part?
    Does anyone have any tips for modelling to get it to run better?

I would be VERY grateful for any advice from the more experienced ANSYS users!

Cheers

Andy

Hi, I`m having real problems with ANSYS workbench v7.1 running slow. I`m making a simple box section frame in Inventor (Making it as a single part) with bracing and applying loads to one end to get it to bend (I`m new to ansys).
    This works fine and I get valid results but if I try to increase the complexity of the frame or change the meshing it just sits on 25% complete for an eternity.
    Should I be modeling each member as a seperate part?
    Does anyone have any tips for modelling to get it to run better?

I would be VERY grateful for any advice from the more experienced ANSYS users!

Cheers

Andy

Are you using solid elements? If so you may want to try using either 2d area or beam elements. This will greatly reduce the DOF's, giving ANSYS a much easier bit of math to solve.

For most frame modeling, I try to use beam elements wherever there are long members of constant cross section, and use plate elements where there are cutaways in the section, holes, etc. Usually join plates to beams using rigid elements. Rigid elements can also be used to model many types of brackets, which saves you the trouble of creating a physical model.
    JDF
    Tennessee Tech
    Golden Eagle Motorsports

Thanks for that JDF!! I think I was focusing too much on getting a nice 3D model.

Andy

+ Reply to Thread