+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reminder Re: Judges' Feedback

I leave something like this almost every year, and so will do so again. While I was almost needed at Mid-Ohio again this year, it turns out that I will be at FSAE judging. So will a number of other motorsports judges.

You should take advantage of our being there all week to ask for some personal feedback. Thursday is generally not a good day as we have the first round of design judging and the semi-finals. Thereafter however, we are generally walking the paddock. FIND US.

The logistics are somewhat difficult at times - more so this year because the site will close early, and we can't wander the paddock after hours for too long. Nonetheless, we're there to give you folks feedback, but it's up to you to grab us. If you don't you're missing a big part of the learning experience. (We do have to watch cars on the track as well - particularly those in the design finals, so please understand.)

I usually tell students that my feedback depends on what question you ask - and I'll often drop into professorial mode and ask you questions, so that you learn to think.

The three most common questions are:

1. Why didn't we do better in design?
    2. How can we improve?
    3. What do you think about our design?

They all require different answers. You are also likely to get different answers from all of us, and it is to your advantage to get as many opinions as you can. You will notice that there will be common threads, however.

It's a bit difficult to answer the first question if one hasn't judged the car in the first round or semi's, but we'll all take a stab at it. The second is somewhat easier.

The third question is different from the first, in that it asks for personal opinion as to your design. When you're judged, we try to assess your level of understanding, as well as your execution. We need not agree with your design decisions, but rather we expect you to sell your design to us - and not with salesman's "puffing". We can see through that. (Although if you're not enthusiastic about your design, how can you expect us to be?)

If you ask the third question, you'll likely get candid opinions, but understand that some may not have influenced your score in the design judging. (Some may have - be sure to differentiate between the two.)

The T-Shirts we get identifying us as judges often get a bit "gamey" after the first day, so we won't necessarily wear them Friday and Saturday, but look for us. You should certainly identify those who judged you in the first round and seek them out for feedback.

The ball will be in your court, but those of us who serve as design judges love to provide feedback - that's why we do it!

- Dick

I leave something like this almost every year, and so will do so again. While I was almost needed at Mid-Ohio again this year, it turns out that I will be at FSAE judging. So will a number of other motorsports judges.

You should take advantage of our being there all week to ask for some personal feedback. Thursday is generally not a good day as we have the first round of design judging and the semi-finals. Thereafter however, we are generally walking the paddock. FIND US.

The logistics are somewhat difficult at times - more so this year because the site will close early, and we can't wander the paddock after hours for too long. Nonetheless, we're there to give you folks feedback, but it's up to you to grab us. If you don't you're missing a big part of the learning experience. (We do have to watch cars on the track as well - particularly those in the design finals, so please understand.)

I usually tell students that my feedback depends on what question you ask - and I'll often drop into professorial mode and ask you questions, so that you learn to think.

The three most common questions are:

1. Why didn't we do better in design?
    2. How can we improve?
    3. What do you think about our design?

They all require different answers. You are also likely to get different answers from all of us, and it is to your advantage to get as many opinions as you can. You will notice that there will be common threads, however.

It's a bit difficult to answer the first question if one hasn't judged the car in the first round or semi's, but we'll all take a stab at it. The second is somewhat easier.

The third question is different from the first, in that it asks for personal opinion as to your design. When you're judged, we try to assess your level of understanding, as well as your execution. We need not agree with your design decisions, but rather we expect you to sell your design to us - and not with salesman's "puffing". We can see through that. (Although if you're not enthusiastic about your design, how can you expect us to be?)

If you ask the third question, you'll likely get candid opinions, but understand that some may not have influenced your score in the design judging. (Some may have - be sure to differentiate between the two.)

The T-Shirts we get identifying us as judges often get a bit "gamey" after the first day, so we won't necessarily wear them Friday and Saturday, but look for us. You should certainly identify those who judged you in the first round and seek them out for feedback.

The ball will be in your court, but those of us who serve as design judges love to provide feedback - that's why we do it!

- Dick

Thanks for this opportunity Dick - most appreciated and we'll make sure we take you up on it.

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

+ Reply to Thread