+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod end Bearings

Could Someone please advise me on which make of Rod End Bearings should be good for the suspension. And also with some research I have found that these rod ends are of many types. Like for load, stainless steel ends, molychrome ends etc.
    Which shud be gud enuf!!!!

Could Someone please advise me on which make of Rod End Bearings should be good for the suspension. And also with some research I have found that these rod ends are of many types. Like for load, stainless steel ends, molychrome ends etc.
    Which shud be gud enuf!!!!

1-2-3 search button.
    But, Aurora gives a huuuuge discount. Buy from them.

And for the love of god don't use them wheelside.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

To summarize: (and I will be polite since it's Turkey Day)

Calculate the loads through your a-arms. To do this assume maybe 1.5g grip, and calculate lat and long loads produced by the tire and do the statics to figure out the loads in your a arm members. Don't forget the loads that your push/pull rod put through your a arms.

After knowing the loads, you should be able to choose a specific rod end. In years past we have used 5/16 rod ends on the inboard side without any problems. Depending on your geometry and ball size you could go to 1.4 or 3/16". We used the aurora bearing AM series.

On the outboard side I would recommend using a spherical bearing. If you use a rod end it will be put in bending, and most of the cars I have seen with this configuration either has a huge rod end, or is bent. Our 92' car has this setup with 3/8 rod ends and they bend frequently. If using a spherical bearing there are basically two methods of retaining them. The method we use is to make a cup that welds to your a arm members. The spherical bearing sits in the cup and has a snap on ring to retain it. The other method is to stake the bearing. I don't know much about this process. If you do choose to weld a cup on, I would recommend machining the bore after it is welded, and make the fit like a .0003 press.

In the future please uses the search button, these topics have been covered. Also run your post through a spelling editor to correct your grammar and poor spelling. Your posts don't need to be perfect, but they shouldn't be broken english either. It reflects poorly on yourself and university.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

Mike.. wow.. its like a whole new you.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Thank you so much for the Information you have given me. (the english spellings too...)

The 'shud', 'gud' and 'enuf' were just a way of typing fast and in short. (Used to msn messenger a lot). I know my spellings well Mr. Mike, it's 'SHOULD', 'GOOD' and 'ENOUGH'. I'll make it a point to use the 'PROPER' form of the word the next time.

We are a first time team and don't have enough guidance and expertise. Your help will be extremely helpful to us. We do not have access to a lot of books and motorsport is not all that encouraged in our country, India

It always cracks me up when people use IM slang words. In the example above, a total savings of about 5 letters was achieved. Not sure about others, but it takes me about 1 second to type 5 letters. Folks' time must be awfully valuable to sacrifice clarity over 1 second of effort.

I heard that New Zealand was actually permitting IM slang on their high school standardized tests. What a shame...

Not to open up a can of worms on an old and always heavily debated topic, but in my experience rod ends outboard are fine as long as you do the math to find appropriately-sized ones. I've seen, driven, and built cars with 3/8-24 threads on the outboard rod ends without any bends or failures. Most recently HXAM-4Ts on upper and lower outboard. I would be interested to hear if folks who have bent or failed them used lower alloy shanks, had heavier cars (mine with the HXAM-4Ts was about 475 lbs as I recall), or if I've just been lucky. Just curious.
    University of Texas 2002 & 2003
    University of Houston 2007

What college? Seems that a lot of indian teams are jumping into FSAE finally. Which competition are you guys aiming for?

Anyway, DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY THE LOCALY AVAILABLE ROD ENDS. EVEN THE BEST AVAILABLE LOCALLY (IKO) AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Take it from someone who has tasted dirt using them.

And do listen to Jersey when he asks you not to use them on wheelside.
    Good Luck

hi nitesh.. im from akievs team.
    we're from kj somaiya college of engineering, mumbai.
    yeah, fsae has grown here! in fact, SAE India is starting a mini baja in india from 2008!

but apart from us, DCE and RV i dont think there are others participating, are there?

which college are you from?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast