+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knock monitor

I was just curious if anyone knew a good place to look for instructions on constructing a knock sensing system for a cbr600rr, or if there is a sensor already available that can be used instead. thanks

Stock 07+ 600RR's already come with a knock sensor. The 'system' part is the kicker. You have to know what to do with the voltage especially since it isn't the resonant type of knock sensor.
    Nutria = Tasty treat!

I have never found anywhere you can construct your own. The one I use is made by MSD.
    J. Roepke
    Cal Poly SLO Alum
    Aero & Engine 07-10

I believe this is the one we made last year.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_035....html?popularArticle

If you really don't mind paying a decent amount for a full knock monitoring system, Gizzmo's Kmon is really nice. It runs about $750 though.

http://gizzmousa.com/knock-monitor.html

It'll all depend on how sensitive and accurate a system you need. The DIY kits would defiantly be more friendly to you pocket and may be all you need.
    WPI Formula SAE team

You can find the proper, quality equipment for as low as $150 without any DIY needed.
    Nutria = Tasty treat!

A knock control system for the ECU doesn't make much sense on a race car, it isn't necessary and would be extremely hard to get it working correctly.

A knock detector for the dyno would be a good idea. All you need is a knock sensor from a car - this will bolt on to the motor block. You'll need to buy/build an amplifier for this, and you can feed the signal into the sound card on a computer, or a DAQ system if you have one. Knock frequency should be less than 20 kHz, so a typical sound card should work OK. Find some software that creates a real-time spectrogram from the sound card input, and you'll have a good visual indicator of knock.
    Damon Pipenberg
    gt motorsports 2006-2010

awesome, tahnks you guys. yea we looking at setting this up for just dyno use to help with ignition tuning, thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast