+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery

Tell me that can i battery other than lead acid battery which is more compact and light weight?
    Can i use laptop battery?

Tell me that can i battery other than lead acid battery which is more compact and light weight?
    Can i use laptop battery?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aragorn:
    Can i use laptop battery? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two AA's should do it.
    Andrew

wat is dis "two AA`s"?
    can you please explain in detail

Some things to think about:

What voltage does your ECU require to run?
    What voltage is a laptop battery?
    How much current does your starter draw?
    How much current can a laptop battery supply?
    How much capacity do you need for your car to run through endurance, including at least 2 starts (1 for each driver)

The battery on our car is 12V 14Ah, and can source 500 amps for 5 seconds, the battery from my laptop is 11.4V 48000mAh.
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

I think wat matter mainly for battery is how much is ur starter current? I don`t know dis for my engine. we are using HONDA CBR 600. Could u plz tell that if i use a lithum battery it would be compatible for it or not, in respect of current and energy it can delivered.
    Aragon

I'm all for helping people out, but there is a difference between helping and doing it for you. This is a engineering design competition, so do some engineering.

You are asking the right questions, but now you need to find the answers, and not by posting them here. This forum is more for discussion than 'tell me what to do' Get some data, some up with a conclusion, then post the data and your ideas to get other people's input.

A starting place for this information is the manual and/or data sheet for the items in question. From personal experience I know that the starter current can be hard to find, but you can get an idea of how big it is by looking at some of the other components in the starter circuit for the stock bike, or if you have one and the right meter you can measure it.
    Brian Seater
    Washington State University FSAE 2005-2009
    http://sae.wsu.edu

you could buy some inexpensive fuses of various sizes and try them until you find the smallest one that doesn't blow...there's your starter current +- a resonable percentage of error. I'd imagine the factory fuse box has a starter fuse, the starter probably pulls 70-80% of that?
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

FYI, Most OEM setups don't use a fuse between the battery and the starter. As mentioned by others, you should be able to get an idea of the current requirement from looking at the size of the wire. If you're lucky, your starter relay might be labeled an amperage rating.

You can also take some measurements using a clamp-on ammeter from Sears, which is a very handy tool to have around. I think mine cost less than $100. Make sure you get one that can measure DC amps, the cheaper ones measure AC amps only.

-s-
    Cal Poly Pomona 2004-2007

The current startermotors of four cylinder motorcycle engines require between 80 and 100 Amps depending on the temperature of the engine. 10mm² wires did the job well in our last car.
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast