+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Goodyear Tire Data?

So I know at least there is a new compound coming from Goodyear -- the D2703/4. Are there any plans on the TTC's part to test this new compound before the new season really starts up?

Thanks,
    Ben

So I know at least there is a new compound coming from Goodyear -- the D2703/4. Are there any plans on the TTC's part to test this new compound before the new season really starts up?

Thanks,
    Ben

...compound only huh? Since the 2696?

Alternatively, if there isn't enough to warrant getting a full project at TIRF, perhaps the helpful engineers at the Goodyear Innovation Center in Akron would be so kind as to do a quick test of the new tire on their F&M rig.

Maybe even a back-to-back with the previous tire.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I think some of the teams might have been running it at FSAEM for testing actually....but that is unconfirmed.

Full production is supposedly going to start in the next few weeks. I was just hoping to get a little bit more information before our team decided tires for next year.

Ben

Hint - yeah, they're the tire you want.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
    Hint - yeah, they're the tire you want. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I tell that to a design judge;-)?

I've heard much of the same--but a bit of concrete evidence can't hurt right?

Ben

We have put the wheels in motion for FSAE TTC Round 5. Nothing is set yet, but we want to test in the next 12 months (we all know that sooner is better than later). Goodyear is rumored to have new tires coming, and I'm sure we will be testing them since Goodyear has been an outstanding supporter of the TTC. Same goes for Hoosier--we want to run their LC0 and, hopefully, get some drive/brake data on the 10s. Other tire suppliers will be invited, too, as always.

For what it's worth, I saw very few Calspan decals on the cars at Michigan. Note that one of the terms of TTC membership is displaying the Calspan logo. Calsapn has given the TTC a price break for each of the previous four rounds of testing and they are definitely a sponsor of all TTC members. Image files are available to print your own decals.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

New Goodyear tires whaaaaaaa?????

Zips Racing 2009-2014
    Jorts and Tank-top model 2013-2014

I just want to clarify a couple things.

We do indeed have two new codes coming out this summer, the D2703 intermediate to replace the D2691, and the D2704 to replace the D2696 dry tire.

The D2704 is a change to both the compound and construction. We've gone to some new reinforcement materials to significantly reduce the mass of the tire (development tires are under 8.5 lbs) while also improving footprint quality and overall performance. The new compound is a REACH compliant version of our SAE2 compound. The tire is now legal for us to sell in Europe.

Just to alleviate confusion, some schools were likely seen competing on tires marked D2697. These tires feature the new construction but still use the old compound. A small run was produced early this year with most tires going to Goodyear sponsored teams and a small quantity being sent to one of our distributors. This code is no longer available.

The D2703 is a compound only change from the D2691. Again, we've made the tread compound REACH compliant for export to and sale in Europe.

Production builds for both codes are scheduled to happen in a few weeks time, but we can not guarantee that tires will be available for FSAE West.

Goodyear continues to be a strong supporter of the FSAE TTC. We will do everything we can to make the new tires available for the next round of testing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoodyearFSAE:
    I just want to clarify a couple things.

We do indeed have two new codes coming out this summer, the D2703 intermediate to replace the D2691, and the D2704 to replace the D2696 dry tire.

The D2704 is a change to both the compound and construction. We've gone to some new reinforcement materials to significantly reduce the mass of the tire (development tires are under 8.5 lbs) while also improving footprint quality and overall performance. The new compound is a REACH compliant version of our SAE2 compound. The tire is now legal for us to sell in Europe.

Just to alleviate confusion, some schools were likely seen competing on tires marked D2697. These tires feature the new construction but still use the old compound. A small run was produced early this year with most tires going to Goodyear sponsored teams and a small quantity being sent to one of our distributors. This code is no longer available.

The D2703 is a compound only change from the D2691. Again, we've made the tread compound REACH compliant for export to and sale in Europe.

Production builds for both codes are scheduled to happen in a few weeks time, but we can not guarantee that tires will be available for FSAE West.

Goodyear continues to be a strong supporter of the FSAE TTC. We will do everything we can to make the new tires available for the next round of testing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome. Thanks for the details. We look forward to learning more!

Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast