+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Differential housing material, and fixation

We need to choose the material of the differential housing , and how to fix it to the chassis .
    so I need to know certain things :

1- What are the factors that should be considered in choosing the material of the differential housing ? and what are the options available .

2- what are the available manners to fix the differential to the chassis , and also what are the factors that should be considered ?

Thank you in advance .

regards,
    Ahmed Sanad
    Cairo University racing team.
    Egypt.

1 - lightweight
    -steel
    -titanium
    -nickel
    -wood
    -plastics
    -aluminum
    -mercury (might melt though)
    -carbon fiber
    -fiberglass
    -magnesium
    -nickel
    -possibly carrots

2 -
    -bolts
    -screws
    -weld
    -rivets
    -carrots (I've only seen this done once)

In all seriousness, you posted this in the wrong forum. You also asked the same question 3 days ago. What work have you done since then to narrow down some options?

I will give you some real advice though.

For your first question, why do you want to manufacture a differential housing? Look at your options for diffs and see that most will come enclosed already. 1 less part you need to make.

For your second question:
    Google pictures from past competitions, or look at other teams pictures on Facebook. You will see that there are plenty of options to consider. I'll even get you started

facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150123928713057&set=pb.2916333230 56.-2207520000.1373496426.&type=3&theater

Well , I narrowed down my options to Ductile cast Iron and Aluminum Alloy 7000 series , Correct me if I'm wrong , but you can make the diff. housing of the same mechanical properties from either Aluminum or ductile cast Iron , yet Aluminum is lighter , am I right ??

+ Reply to Thread