Originally posted by jlangholzj:
coupling an accelerometer with a gyro should yield enough data to show that you're decelerating greater than 1 g. Of course you'd also need to know the CG of the car to properly determine if its hitting the 1G mark...OR a standardized location on the car would yield comparable results.

I've spent my lunch break today figuring some of this out this is one of those tech things that really grinds my gears (as well as a few other things). I find it very disturbing that for an engineering competition there is so much subjective content in tech. Inspectors who can't make a decision on their own, certain templates being "smaller" than others!!! We were told this year that the templates were within "manufacturing tolerance" when there was a visible ~2-3mm difference between the two!!!

as pat stated, there's not going to be any changes until someone presents them.
Every car has to go through tilt before going through brake. Scales in the tilt table would give you enough information to get the CG height, plus it could take care of official weight at the same time. Killing 2 birds in 1 stop? I'm a fan.

As for the subjectivity of tech, I couldn't agree more. This year in Lincoln, we had a tech inspector that questioned the FIA legality of our seat belts (they are the Schroth Hybrid II belt that I saw a lot of teams using and the same ones we used at MIS and FN), the attachment of our impact attenuator (even after seeing the approved report), and the wall thickness of a non-required tube (even after seeing the SES). We got through tech in Michigan in ~45-50 minutes, Canada took ~30 minutes, and yet we were in tech in Lincoln for an hour and a half mainly because of this 1 tech inspector. We legitimately had a couple of things to fix (safety wire on bolts where you couldn't see the 2 threads sticking out of a locknut) that I'm surprised we didn't get caught on before, but the other stuff was just obnoxious. I think that had something to do with only 34 teams (or thereabouts) getting into tech on the first day at Lincoln.