+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost Rules - Discussion 2010

New discussion area to discuss rules, cost tables and software for 2010 competitions.

Honestly, I can't figure this program out. I'm trying to use the application and only about 70% of it works. Like people have said before it removes parts and in some cases adds them. Equations don't work or there's no explanation of how to properly enter values. For example, when entering in the engine using "ultra high performance" from the materials table, the cost is $2.50/cc and the Honda CBRs are 599cc yet my cost is still only $2.50. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch with the equation? This same thing happens with the "fluid, oil" as well.

This program has a lot of potential especially since all the information is in one place, but I've spent the last 3 hours redoing the stuff I was up until 5:00am last night. I also wish there was a save button so I know where the info is rather than syncing at the end of the night. I don't know enough about Access to understand what is going on, but I'm afraid everything I do for a few hours will disappear because I close the program.

Sorry if this is a repeat from the previous thread, but we went to VIR last year and didn't use the application. I figured we'd give it a shot this year and now I'm not sure. I really like the overall idea of it especially since it generates the excel sheets for you, but the problems may overcome the good of the program. I hate ranting, but I'm beginning to understand everyones frustrations.
    David Leezer
    University of Louisville FSAE
    Team Co-Captain

David, that's good feedback. We have a list of bugs we're trying to work through fixing. Take the Honda engine, for example. Are you adding it using the "+" key then the drop down, the materials browser or the materials table? Then you change the quantity to 599cc? Does the price work correctly? If not, is there a value for density that if you delete it does it calculate correctly? Thanks, Bill Riley.

Hello!

I don't know why some components are not listed in the table materials this year, but the last were in the table. For example, the Megasquirt ECU was the last year but not this year, why?

Have i to request for new models and components? or use for example the students ECU?

Mr. Riley,

My question is in regard to the distribution of data from a sync to other team members. Let me elaborate:

Two weeks ago I had fields entered in the Assembly section with all the parts listed. This week, I then decided to restructure my Assembly fields to a more logical layout after reading the 2009 Cost Report Thread. But between my initial input (and sync) to my latest change (and sync) my team members had synced to add their own sub-systems. So now when I sync today, my sub-system regains the assemblies from the past that I had previously deleted.

In short, what is the best method of making modifications (including deletions) and having them "stick" to my other team member's computers. One idea I thought of was to clear all local data (including team members) and have myself sync my updated report and then have the rest of my team then sync.

Lastly, I too am receiving the "Fastener ID" prompt when syncing and it appears to function normally if I push cancel, otherwise if I push okay, it stops the sync.

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by Bill Riley:
    David, that's good feedback. We have a list of bugs we're trying to work through fixing. Take the Honda engine, for example. Are you adding it using the "+" key then the drop down, the materials browser or the materials table? Then you change the quantity to 599cc? Does the price work correctly? If not, is there a value for density that if you delete it does it calculate correctly? Thanks, Bill Riley.
    I believe I did try both with the drop-down and tables and had the same problem both times. I did change the density value, but I'm not sure if I deleted it or just changed the value. I'll check it again next time I work on it and let you know. I'd hate to go back to excel and start over, but I'm mainly worried that when it's crunch time that a lot of things will be missing or wrong because of the glitches or bugs. Will these be fixed before the due date of the report or is this something we'll have to check, recheck then check again before sending in?
    David Leezer
    University of Louisville FSAE
    Team Co-Captain

New Announcement on Access Application and Michigan and California Requirements Posted

Please note that we have two new announcements, one covering the Michigan and California requirements and one about the MS Access application.

http://www.fsaeonline.com/

In summary we think the best thing to do is to migrate the current Access application to a web based program. This will actually cost the same or less as fixing all the bugs in the current system and mean there will be no software to install, no sync'ing necessary, and should make for all around better experience for you students. The down side is we can't possibly do that in time for the 2010 Michigan and California competitions.

My honest advice is to use Excel or your own system for this year because of all the known bugs with the current application. I hate to see you try to use it and end up the night before having problems. The bug workaround pdf posted to fsaeonline.com has all my learnings on ways to use the existing software, such as not using raw materials (I saw a posting about that earlier).

I will continue to update the Excel Cost tables for 2010 so anyone not using the software will not have to use it for looking up costs.

feuerradder: Megasquirt and Microsquirt are both listed in the materials table. We're migrating some of these items still to the software, however, so they should be in there soon.

T. Mourlam: I know there are problems with sync. We were going to be putting in significiant time and money into fixing it, but have decided to go to a web system so there will no longer be a sync process. The data will come right out of the database in real time. I recommend not using the sync and in fact using Excel as I suspect it will be less frustrating for you.

Daleezer: I advise switching to Excel this year, unfortunately.

The cost report prices a Tripod CV joint with grease at $45. Our system uses an integrated stub shaft and cup similar to Taylor Race's Tulip style stub axle seen here:

http://www.taylor-race.com/fra...Stub%20Axles%20Tulip

Does the "CV joint" definition include both the integrated stub shaft-cup as well as the tripod itself? Clarification would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ryan Trickett

Administrative Director,

University of Washington Formula SAE, Team 19, 20, 21

The cost report prices a Tripod CV joint with grease at $45. Our system uses an integrated stub shaft and cup similar to Taylor Race's Tulip style stub axle. Posting the link for reference resulted in auto-moderation of the post, otherwise i would include it here.

Does the "CV joint" definition include both the integrated stub shaft-cup as well as the tripod itself? Clarification would be appreciated.
    Ryan Trickett

Administrative Director,

University of Washington Formula SAE, Team 19, 20, 21

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast