+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Intake Design Paper

The paper is copyright of SAE, so unfortunately I can't post it up for public consumption. But your team can get it from SAE using this info:

http://www.sae.org/technical/papers/2005-01-3803

05FFL-188
    Development and Validation of an Impedance Transfer Model for High Speed Engines
    Sam Zimmerman, Dan Cordon, Michael Anderson, and Steven Beyerlein
    Mechanical Engineering, University of Idaho
    Copyright © 2005 SAE International

could i please get a copy of this paper as well? oelke@usc.edu

Originally posted by Taylor Oelke:
    could i please get a copy of this paper as well? oelke@usc.edu
    Did you even read the post directly above yours?? Just buy the damn thing. It's 11 bucks.
    Ross Nickerson
    University of Pennsylvania '09
    Team Leader/Engine/Chassis/Suspension

We just bought it, and I read it, and I like it. I didn't absorb everything though, so I might have to read a few more times.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

Hi, I've been looking for the Engelman ASME paper "Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold" and I can't find it, not even in the ASME digital store, if someone please could tell me where to find it, I would appreciate it.

Your faculty adviser has a certain number of FREE papers from SAE each year, so you don't even need to spend the $11.

I've been trying to use Zimmerman's impedance calculation method to validate my intake design. I'm actually using CFD but since I'm using my design in a school project, my teacher wants me to calculate some characteristics about my intake, so I thought I would plot some graphics of the anti-resonance and resonance frequencies. I'm trying to validate my calculation on the geometry that is explained in the paper, but it doesn't seem to work. I'm using k=2*pi*RPM/(c*60). When calculating Z, I took rho as being constant but I not sure I can assume that though. I'm calculating the impedance starting from the cylinder (which is the only pipe closed at one end) and going all the way back to ambient air (runner than plenum than inlet pipe). I plotted the results using the log of the norm of my impedance. My results still doesn't correspond to what is shown in the paper. I was also wondering when you have a convergent or divergent section in your intake system (maybe like, let say, a venturi) can you use the mean pipe section area in the calculation or is there another way to approximate it? Can someone help?

Hey guys, I haven't been on this site forever. I'm glad to see some intake discussions. When I was around nothing would kill a thread faster than technical talk about intakes.

I receive requests every semester for help on my paper. After several attempts at trying to get students to poke holes in my paper and publish their own, I've resigned myself to the fact that all past FSAE students who contacted me were looking for quick turn-key programs that will work for them. I understand the schedule forces that.

Given that, I would suggest that you do some basic calculations, prototype an intake, use a speaker and mic as shown in my paper, and come to a solution rather quickly. I know that judges used to post here, I don't know if they still do but I would like to hear their 2 cents on what I am about to say.

Simple research, basic equations, and then planned prototype and design verification testing is a valid path towards a good prototype solution. If you want to really understand the acoustics, plan on a master's degree.

I'll finish with a question. Does anybody here know of a more recent SAE paper that discusses the impedance method in my paper?
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

Originally posted by Lucy:
    Hi, I've been looking for the Engelman ASME paper "Design of a Tuned Intake Manifold" and I can't find it, not even in the ASME digital store, if someone please could tell me where to find it, I would appreciate it.
    Lucy,

I got my copy through inner-library loan, I believe. You might also have to search under "Design of a Turned Intake Manifold" since Engelmann mis-spelled the title on his paper.
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

Sam,

Imagine you could cash in in your fame. A pint for every nugget?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast