+ Reply to Thread

Thread: could anyone help??

hi all,
    im from Alexandria university motorsport team and asking for advise how to select a suitable 600cc engine as they are different in bore and stroke or in number of cylinder or in compression ratio and other specification.
    thanks

hi all,
    im from Alexandria university motorsport team and asking for advise how to select a suitable 600cc engine as they are different in bore and stroke or in number of cylinder or in compression ratio and other specification.
    thanks

Not to go all SNL on you, but really? Really?!
    At least you're asking how to select an engine rather than "what engine should I use?"
    This goes for selecting most components: Set goals, prioritize goals, research options, rank options, select option.
    Things to consider for engine:
    Availability, cost, reliability, power output, size, weight, packaging constraints, aftermarket parts availability, color, street cred, etc.

I'll make the assumption that you are a first year team and IMO the engine should be a black box for FSAE newbies. Bore, stroke, comp ratio should be the last consideration. You will spend more time on the ECU, wiring, intake and exhaust no matter which engine you choose, than worrying about internals, not to mention the dozens of other systems on the car.

Good luck and remember, specific questions get specific answers.

I've seen a lot of Honda F4i's around in FSAE, which should be some indication of what is "good." Should be relatively easy to get going with fuel injection since as far as I know all the sensors are there (we had to design our own crank sensors for our 2001 Kawi ZX6R...that set us back a good bit of time). If I remember right Honda dealerships will actually sell these engines new, so you don't have to take chances buying used ones off the internet.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

Honda isn't making the F4i any more, so you can't buy new engines (one reason we switched this year) but you can get new 600RR's. We think they're not as good as the F4i for CG reasons.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread