+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Real world" dyno tests

Hey all, we are trying to setup a "real-world" dyno test profile and I am having trouble figuring out the calculations needed to dynamically update the load on the engine as if the car were doing an accel run. I know it will involve the weight of the car, final drive ratio, rolling resistance, drag and so forth but I haven't been able to find the calculations. I know the DYNOmite systems have an option for this built in but our system doesn't. Anyone have any insight on this or know where I can look for some answers? Thanks!

-Redbeard
    Dartmouth Formula Racing

Hey all, we are trying to setup a "real-world" dyno test profile and I am having trouble figuring out the calculations needed to dynamically update the load on the engine as if the car were doing an accel run. I know it will involve the weight of the car, final drive ratio, rolling resistance, drag and so forth but I haven't been able to find the calculations. I know the DYNOmite systems have an option for this built in but our system doesn't. Anyone have any insight on this or know where I can look for some answers? Thanks!

-Redbeard
    Dartmouth Formula Racing

Usually dyno road load is approximated by an Av2 + Bv + C type equation (try Gillespie for an example?). Inertia simulation depends on the dyno, some have flywheels some do it all electronically.

How are you incorporating gearshifts?

Ian

Cool, thanks murpia. Right now I wasn't considering shifts but I suppose we could hook up our hydraulic shifter if we wanted to. Also, we're planning to hook up our new shifter/clutch to test it as well. Thanks for the help.

-Redbeard
    Dartmouth Formula Racing

+ Reply to Thread