+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Michigan 2012 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

I am currently uploading my pictures (unsorted) from today here: FSAE-MI 2012 Friday
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

Any word on the top teams from design finals?
    -To race is to live. All the rest is simply waiting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RyMan:
    Helstinki is back?!?!?! I thought I saw a finnish car in pic 25 from Thomas's Wednesday album but I couldn't make out the name of the school. I guess all the students from the infamous 2008 competition have moved on.

How did RPI's frame pass tech? We had an eerily similar arrangement (we had more tubing though) at the front of our 2008/9 car and were told we had to add tubing at the last event held at VIR.

I like how Wisconsin's car looks like a pack of Winstons. I imagine it was one of those situations where instead of asking for permission, they decided to ask for forgiveness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Helsinki goes by the name Metropolia University of Applied Sciences and runs with the number 118.

I think there are few guys present from our 2008 group of shame also.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former Engine Manager
    Metropolia Motorsport
    Metropolia UAS, Helsinki

http://www.metropolia-motorsport.fi/

Design & Race Engineer
    Artline Formu

I can attest a bit to RPI's frame, having helped build it in the past. The carbon panels in the car are actually a structural component. We submit an SEF form and testing data for the panels. We used 029 and have had to increase thickness to the minimum tube thickness. The judges used to take issue with the thinner tubing we would use, and have mandated the increase. The frame has been tested in comparison to a steel frame with the carbon replaced with cross bracing. It's all pretty safe.

So thats how we pass tech. I can get some chassis guys to answer specific questions if you're really curious.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by revolutionary:
    Well, we had to pull the plug on our trip this year. On the plus side, we dyno's the car tonight. On a Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno it made a best pull of 111hp and backed it up with a couple 109hp runs.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This was done on your YZF450R? What's your general setup?
    -Richard Mazur
    ASU

How has nobody mentioned Penn State's fireball during endurance....

I was on track and it was def a high pressure fuel leak. Unbelievably huge ball of fire. Luckily everyone was ok.

Since Carnegie was the first racecar on the new paved surface, I guess Penn State gets the distinction of first fire....

Also. The electric cars from TU Munich and Kansas were unbelievable. We should create an electric section on this forum and get this competition off the ground for next year.

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mazur:
    This was done on your YZF450R? What's your general setup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We were far from getting our yfz450 car done with just a few of us working on it so we went back and tried to get the car we built last year up to spec to run. At the last minute our advisor pulled the plug though so we didn't show with either car. That car has a cbr600rr with a GT12 turbo and 20mm restrictor. Check the video
    http://youtu.be/qyCGVqDJcWw
    Daryl

Any more results? The final results should already be known. Top 10? This thread has been unusually dead compared to years past.
    Shamus Yandle
    Georgia Tech Motorsports 1998-2003

FStotal.com's page on facebook has uploaded picures of the unofficial results.

top 10:

GFR
    Karlsruhe
    Stuttgart
    Munich
    Michigan - AA
    Graz
    Metropolia
    ETS
    Erlangen
    Wisconsin

They have almost the entire order on their page as well.

Can't help but notice the number of European (and quasi-European) teams (GFR) in the top 10.

Out of interest, are any of the members of those teams willing to say if the cars at MIS were the same cars that competed in 2011 at FS (Silverstone) or FSG (Hockenheim)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast