+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Art majors in fsae

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have art majors on their team? If so, do they do machining and such like ME's or more aesthetic work?
    -To race is to live. All the rest is simply waiting.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have art majors on their team? If so, do they do machining and such like ME's or more aesthetic work?
    -To race is to live. All the rest is simply waiting.

We don't have any pure arts students (we have one BaBe conjoint I think), but have quite a few pure commerce students, and they are still expected to help with manufacturing. Only one of them has done any machining.
    "He who dies with the most toys wins"

We had one on our team when I was involved as a student. He did the body design and helped out with the body work and painting.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

UTSA has one art major.

I help out in any way that I can, fabricating, testing, setting up the car, etc... all the way to designing and maintaining the teams website, designing body work and paint jobs.

I try not to let my major get in the way of working on such an amazing project that we all do. I am so proud that i can share my knowledge of cars and racing with such a wonderful group of engineers.

I assume when you say arts you mean non-engineering subject, but we have a 'token geographer' on the engineering team who is probably one of the most useful guys on the team!
    Admittedly he has a reasonable amount of experience from working as a mechanic, but it's still great to hear him chatting to sponsors...
    Mind the rad!
    Full Blue Racing Alumnus, Cambridge, UK

In terms of non engineering students, we've had business students, science students, graphics communication students that have had a decent influence on the team over the years.

I personally am not in engineering at all. I'm in medical physics. But these teams are a labor of love, especially at schools like Ryerson where there is no course credit given for the project. And anyone that is willing to help is more than welcome to.

I'm going into my fourth year on the team and I think I have just as many late/all-nighters as anyone else.

Granted I am pretty good with my hands and bring some experience with me, but what I don't know I'll learn. I had never heard of solidworks until first year. Or Ricardo Wave until second, but have learned both.
    EX-FSAE

We had a music student in SAE once. The guy was a complete nutcase - a misunderstanding in the dorms he was staying in resulted in him spending a night in a psych ward for observation, and then getting kicked out of the dorms.

The Lund team has one this year, doing the bodywork, including fabrication of the panels.

We did have one our first year also, he designed the logo, only the logo.
    Pontus Fyhr - Lund University Formula Engineering alumn/assistant FA

We have a guy double majoring in theatre on the team this year.

He brings in the lady-cakes, so we can see what they're supposed to look like.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

+ Reply to Thread