+ Reply to Thread

Thread: brake pads

can anyone suggest how to select brake pads.......am using wilwood ps1 calipers..i checke their pads product line up and was not able to select between diff polymatrix compounds.....
    06, 07, 08 - Ashwa Racing (R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore)
    09 - Rennstall (University of Applied Sciences, Esslingen)
    10,11 - Red Shirt / Scrutineer (FSG, Hockenheim)

can anyone suggest how to select brake pads.......am using wilwood ps1 calipers..i checke their pads product line up and was not able to select between diff polymatrix compounds.....
    06, 07, 08 - Ashwa Racing (R.V. College of Engineering, Bangalore)
    09 - Rennstall (University of Applied Sciences, Esslingen)
    10,11 - Red Shirt / Scrutineer (FSG, Hockenheim)

If you call wilwood they can make a recommendation. Tell them what you're doing, they're pretty familiar with FSAE, and they'll probably recommend a high heat/high friction pad. I'm having problem's loading wilwood's page so I can't view their charts.
    Joel Schmidt

Wilwood actually recommends the bp-10 (I think that's the name, may be dp-10, something along those lines); it's a low heat medium friction pad. We talked to the wilwood representative and he expressed concern that there would be excessive rotor wear overtime with the any of the other polymatrix pads. In our case we are in a position to except more rotor wear for a high coefficient of friction at a lower operating temperature so we ordered the polymatrix A and D along with some of the aforementioned pads and plan on starting our testing with A and moving down the line in terms of coefficient of friction and low temp performance.

Using the PolyMatrix A pads for the PS-1 are very different in size...how would you go by to machine the pads down to the specs of the normal ps-1 pads? CNC?

james, please correct me if otherwise, but i believe you aren't using ps-1 calipers. In my experience, only one pad type is available for the ps-1, a high-friction sintered metallic (pad info). No friction numbers or graphs are supplied by Wilwood. By far, this is the greatest drawback, although people have talked about cutting other pads to fit the ps-1 in previous threads.

I like the Polymatrix A. They are aggressive for sure. Running 3/16" thick mild steel plate rotors I haven't seen excessive wear on any old car.

And even if somehow you did wear one down bad, big deal. FSAE rotors are easy.

Mike, while the PS-1 only has one pad designed for it, other pads can be "cut down" to fit. Some brake companies can also make a pad to suit you. We'll be using the PS-1 this year as well but I can't comment on friction or wear since we're not driving yet.
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

+ Reply to Thread