+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi 3000 GT vs. Lancer Evo IX vs. Subaru WRX STi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homemade WRX:
    the EVO has electronics driving the car, the other two have a driver...that's why the japanese and europeans almost always choose the sti over the evo in comparisons...that and the creature comforts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

granted my opinion is highly biased here being an evo VIII owner... they have virtually the same electronic packages. The evo has a better sorted AWD control system then the STI does, but the STI has a nicer interior.

have it be known that driving an evo is not "distant", the 8 doesn't have the fancy active center diff however, which my experience is derived from.

additionally, with the evo having an iron block engine, it is much more stout then the STI, and asking any VR-4 owner, they are a nightmare to maintain.

it is easy to make 500+ rwhp with stock bottom end. that is virtually impossble on the STI.

last, i have had no problem handing it to other STI's on the track, even running completely stock. autocrossing is another thing though (i don't mod based off of autocross classes). but my buddies ESP evo regularly puts down the faster times between STI/EVO cars, even with a highly competitive region.

here are some pictures at the last track day i went to this summer.

UTA Racing
    Team Captain '06

Hey guys, thanks for the steering info, somehow I missed it when I scrolled down before. That sounds really cool, wanna trade cars for a while? Maybe swap at the competition? lol...no, seriouly. Ahh, but enough wishful thinking for now. I heard from people on streetfire.net (watch the vids, don't read the comments, the people will literally, no shittin' ya, make you stupid) that the trannys, more specifically the transfer cases, tend to explode when you launch for a drag race. Granted, these guys were pushin 800hp, but the evos and STi's don't have that problem. Even though this (VR-4) car seems to be the underdog, everytime I see one ('94 or later) I get all excited and have a really good feeling inside me. One such picture does just that:

Another goodin is thisin: http://www.3sxperformance.com/cars-3...e/image14.html

I guess the bottom line is how the car makes you feel, not how fast it is. Thats a new revelation for me because I can never go fast enough, and honestly, to me 100 feels no different than 70. But what am I saying, I've never driven any of these cars. Still, the VR-4 excites me, the others create no feelings. I'm goin too deep here, and I could go deeper, but I'll hold off.
    Thanks guys,
    Mike
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

good luck finding a 3000GT VR-4, I have yet to see one in my life. I rallied my VR-4 on good old Gran Tursmo 2 on PS1. I would take the STI personally, just has the best body lines and a good backing of WRC history.
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Vr-4's are definately out there, but they just take some time to find. It took me two years to find the one I wanted.
    One of the biggest reasons (IMO) that the 3000's arent as popular as supras, rx-7s, etc... is that they sold so many non-turbos. 90+ percent on the road are NA.

Here's my car domain site for any 3000gt fans
    Cardomain
    A little outdated, but gets the point aross.

On another note I wouldn't mind having an EVO 9 MR daily driver Look out for Mitsubishi in wrc 2006!!!
    Bradley University
    2006 Formula SAE Suspension & Contols Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinD:
    granted my opinion is highly biased here being an evo VIII owner... they have virtually the same electronic packages. The evo has a better sorted AWD control system then the STI does, but the STI has a nicer interior.

have it be known that driving an evo is not "distant", the 8 doesn't have the fancy active center diff however, which my experience is derived from.

additionally, with the evo having an iron block engine, it is much more stout then the STI, and asking any VR-4 owner, they are a nightmare to maintain.

it is easy to make 500+ rwhp with stock bottom end. that is virtually impossble on the STI.

last, i have had no problem handing it to other STI's on the track, even running completely stock. autocrossing is another thing though (i don't mod based off of autocross classes). but my buddies ESP evo regularly puts down the faster times between STI/EVO cars, even with a highly competitive region.

here are some pictures at the last track day i went to this summer.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    as for the drivetrain the evo 9 I believe and UK and Japanese EVO's all have the active yaw system (the U.S. doesn't) which is what I was referring to. As for making easy or quick power the EVO does have a huge hand up being it is a motor that has been tweaked on for nearly 20 years...the STI motor is brand new (off the shelf cams just came out for it). With the STI, 500+ whp is done with a GT35R kit, forged pistons (but rods are usually done as the motor is apart)...grant it I have read of one sti crank snapping. I-speed was running their 2.8L motor and sheared the crank in two. this is the only case I have read/heard of.

really when comparing the two, it comes down to what you want out of it and how much you are willing to spend to get there...

but for auto-x my 94 Impreza "L" has taken several evo's down...and a Viper GTS too...still saving money for tires and pads to hit up VIR...

one of many auto-x's...ignore the flap
    http://members.cox.net/drummerboy178...b%20edited.JPG
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

From what I remember, the VR-4 was one of the worst reviewed sports cars of its time. Granted it was always being compared to the Supra, RX-7, and 300ZX, but still, thats 3 other cars from the same era that you would be better off with according to almost every automag out there, and two of those can be had for pretty good prices.
    Kory Smith
    University of Toledo Rocket Motorsports
    Hankook Tire ATC

I'm partial to an '89 Porsche 944 Turbo myself... but I'm a sucker for those 80's sports cars.
    "It seems like engineers learn a hell of a lot of math just to drive a train..."

Sam Sather
    2008 Team Captain
    Miami University Redhawk Racing
    www.MiamiRedhawkRacing.com

Sports Compact Car magazine just did a test for their April issue. They took the hottest japanese cars:

Evo 3
    Evo 8
    Subaru STI
    Twin Turbo Supra
    Twin Turbo 300zx
    Turbo NSX
    and 3000gt Vr4

They testest them (raced) in

1.Drag,
    2.Dyno HP
    3.Track

The 3000gtVR4 ( 95 if im not mistaken) got FIRST place in ...drag.....dyno HP...and third in track, right behind the STI and NSX.

Of course i will have a biased opinion, i own a 94' vr4. I considered the STI and EVO. To ME, the vr4 looked 100X better. Sure, the EVO and STI will not break down as much,because their not 12 years old.

But when it comes down to it, its more of a hobby than anything else. Only buy a vr4 if you understand you will have to repair it. I have not yet, but im sure i will soon.

At the end of the day im driving a vr4, and couldnt be happier.

Wow, that's crazy. How'd you get April results already? Were they all tested by the same person for drag? And all pros for track? Don't worry, my '90 corolla has given me plenty of repairs to do. I recently had to replace the head gasket and accidently snapped a chincy bimetallic engine vaccum switch that ended up costing about $50 . But they say it will always run rich without it, so I had to shell out the money. Anyway, there are some really good prices on the VR-4's. I found about 20 of them with about 60k miles and under $15k, some people are even lettin 'em go for around $11k! Good pics to show quality too. The spyder, though, thats about $32k+ any milage. But thats still good considering the limited production and $72K MSRP.

And Duwe, I've only seen one where I live (Stevens Point-ish). It was at night, and it was a jet black car with chrome rims. I was in total awe. The wide stance was totally intimidating. It's a good thing people were infront of us at the light, 'cause I would have been down right embarassed!
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

Hey, can anyone tell me about the active aero on the 3000GT? The more I read about this car, the more features I learn about. That's a pretty cool feature. For a 90's car, it has a lot of technology in it. Oh yeah, I forgot about the electronically controlled suspension with g force sensors too. That's crazy. I guess there's a touring and a sport mode regulated by dampening force, or something like that.

However, there also seem to be a large ammount of problems with different aspects of the car too. At least from what I saw here: http://www.3si.org/forum/showpost.ph...3&postcount=78

There's other stuff all about 3000GT's and Stealths there, at 3si.org.

BU_SpeedRacer, have you had any of those problems? Especially the one about the psyco locks?

I don't know what to do. My intention was to only buy a new (to me) car after college, but shit, that's another 3.5-5.5 years if I get my masters. If I get one now, I know I can get one with only like 60K miles on it, and possibly more money for my car. However, if I save up my money and wait to buy it 'til after college, ya they'll be cheaper, but will they all have like 120K miles on them with the crap beaten out of them? I don't know what to do. Or even if I really want that car. Any suggestions?
    CFS13 - Drivetrain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast