+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi 3000 GT vs. Lancer Evo IX vs. Subaru WRX STi

Hey, so what do you guys think? Between the 3000GT VR-4, the Evo, and the STi, which do you believe is better and why? With a head to head to head match, who do you think would win? I think the STi is awesome, but subaru needs to keep the old design. However, I'm starting to like the VR-4 more and more. It even has four wheel steering (how much the rear end turns, I don't know). I don't like the Evo, I guess I got that from one of C&D's head to head comps where the Sub. won and I gave the Evo the stigma of being a loser. These cars seem fairly equally matched. Anyone actually own any of these cars? Tell us what you think about them.
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

Hey, so what do you guys think? Between the 3000GT VR-4, the Evo, and the STi, which do you believe is better and why? With a head to head to head match, who do you think would win? I think the STi is awesome, but subaru needs to keep the old design. However, I'm starting to like the VR-4 more and more. It even has four wheel steering (how much the rear end turns, I don't know). I don't like the Evo, I guess I got that from one of C&D's head to head comps where the Sub. won and I gave the Evo the stigma of being a loser. These cars seem fairly equally matched. Anyone actually own any of these cars? Tell us what you think about them.
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

VR-4's way too heavy and doesn't really have the poise of the other two. I've seen stock Evos and STIs at autox's, and the Evos have just looked tauter and smoother. Also, R&T just did a comparo, and declared the Evo the better driver's car.

as far as i am aware the Evo has a lot more electronic aids than the STi. it seems to be the better car according to all of the mags, but unless you have driven them it would be hard to tell. i really think it would come down to driver style and personal preferences.

i would go for a subaru, basically because i know how to get the most from them, as i currently own a Subaru Liberty RS, and know the good things and bad things about them, and how to fix it!!!

thats my 2 cents!

Scott

UTS Motorsports

read my name I made my own old style WRX...about 500 lbs less than a WRX weighs...I know what problems need to fixed on the suspension and have done most of them...

anyhow, I think through a course the evo would probably win, STi second, then the heavy/underpowered 3000gt in last...
    but the difference between evo and sti really depends on the course

the EVO has electronics driving the car, the other two have a driver...that's why the japanese and europeans almost always choose the sti over the evo in comparisons...that and the creature comforts...
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

VR-4 hands down!!! (I own one )

Honestly it's is difficult to compare the vr-4 with STI and EVO. Completely different cars. The 3000gt is a GT car. Bigger, heavier, more comfortable (also styling is much better imo) whereas the STI and EVO are sport/rally cars. The vr-4 will probably be the worst of the 3 at autox from the factory because it's heavier and the suspension seems soft at the track. Mine weighed 3650lb with just lighter exhaust. 3000GTs can be made to do really well at autoX and road course with some light mods though. You could put a quite a few mods on the vr-4 with the money you would spend on a newer sti/evo!

The evo has excellent steering response. The car just seems to go where you point it. I haven't driven an sti so I won't give any opinions on that. All 3 of these cars have excellent aftermarket support as well.

Each car is good in its own way. What do you want the car for? Best way to decide is test drive and then decide.
    Bradley University
    2006 Formula SAE Suspension & Contols Team

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homemade WRX:
    the EVO has electronics driving the car, the other two have a driver...that's why the japanese and europeans almost always choose the sti over the evo in comparisons...that and the creature comforts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree, too much electronics suck. As the tall guy on "Top Gear" said, even though the F50 outperforms the F40, he would still go with the F40 because he's actually driving the car. When he hits a turn just right, he knows that he accomplished it, and it wasn't the work of a computer.

Electronic throttles and slap/paddle shifters piss me off. I'd rather not play a $50,000+ video game, thats what my xbox is for. I want to drive the damn vehicle, not go for a ride.

Hey BU_SpeedRacer, how much does the rear end steer? I heard it steers the same direction as the front, but that doesn't make sense. I guess it would keep the ass end tight to the apex and prevent fishtailing. Or does it actually turn the opposite way (to create an articulating effect)?

Oh, and WRX, underpowered? I believe the '97 had 320hp.

Keep the input commin, guys!
    CFS13 - Drivetrain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by absolutepressure:
    Oh, and WRX, underpowered? I believe the '97 had 320hp.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    the STi's in only had 280 max until the gentlemens agreement got lifted...prior to the lift only the Spec C made more power...

if you are reffereing to a 97 VR4 then yes underpower/too heavy...too little power for tooo much heft... IMO
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by absolutepressure:
    Hey BU_SpeedRacer, how much does the rear end steer? I heard it steers the same direction as the front, but that doesn't make sense. I guess it would keep the ass end tight to the apex and prevent fishtailing. Or does it actually turn the opposite way (to create an articulating effect)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    As far as I know, most rear steer systems go in the opposite direction at low speeds to promote yaw, and in the same direction at high speeds for stability.

The all-wheel-steering (AWS) kicks in at 35 mph only. Alex was right in saying it's same phase though for top end. I don't know exactly, but it's only around 2-3 degrees. Definately not the same as the front wheels, but it's definately noticable
    Bradley University
    2006 Formula SAE Suspension & Contols Team

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast