+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: anti dive setup

Quote Originally Posted by mams View Post
    The way I see it my goal should be to design in as much anti as I can without passing a certain threshold...
    Honestly any guidance would be much appreciated...
    Mams,

My genuine, non-condescending, advice is, YOUR GOAL IS TO BUILD A CAR THAT CAN TRAVEL 20 MILES, AT AN AVERAGE SPEED OF 30 MPH, WITHOUT BREAKING DOWN.

No amount of "optimising" anti-dive will help you achieve this. Rather, time spent optimising will most likely harm your efforts. More below, but in short, any anti-dive between about -10% and +30% could be workable on a winning car.
    ~~~o0o~~~

Part of the reason for the above wideish range of acceptable numbers is that a secondary goal in FSAE (IMO) is to USE THE BRAKES AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. Instead of using the brakes, and then also having to stomp on the accelerator, just go fast around the corners, and thus be the fastest car WITH the least fuel burnt.

Dynatune covered most of the pros and cons of different levels of anti-dive back on page 1. On a smooth FSAE-typical track you can have quite high anti-dive without adverse consequences. On a bumpy road-racing circuit I would stay under ~20% (better under 10%?, else the front-wheels will start getting air over the bumps on corner entry).

Off-road racers typically have large amounts of pro-dive, mainly to give lots of "wheel recession" for better ride over the bumps (wheels move backward in bounce). But off-road racers also have front brakes the size of milk bottle tops (the 2WD cars are rear heavy, and racing is about going fast, not slow!).

There was a period in Lotus's history when they were trying to get as much pro-dive as possible. This was early in the aero era, and Chapman figured that lowering the front wing, via pro-dive, on corner entry would give the car better downforce through the rest of the corner. They also had pro-roll (RC below ground level) to jack the car DOWN in corners, because the straights were quite bumpy and the car had to have a highish static ride height.
    ~~~o0o~~~

... compared to roll center movement, how important is pitch center variation under braking and acceleration.
    For some understanding of antis (pitch or roll) have a look at the "Jacking Force" thread.

The key point to take from that thread is that you only have to know the longitudinal (for pitch) and lateral (for roll) n-line slopes (aka "force line slopes") to be able to calculate the anti-pitch, anti-roll, and jacking behaviour of the car. (Well, you should also know how to calculate the slopes correctly, realise that a single wheel can have different longitudinal n-line slopes for accelerating and braking (because, say, inboard drive and outboard brake), and you must know the magnitude of Fx and Fy road-to-wheelprint forces at each wheel.)

But, VERY IMPORTANTLY, the location of the intersection point of the pair of close to horizontal n-lines in side-view (= the "PC"), or in end-view (= the "RC"), DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL!!!!!

It should be apparent that n-lines that are always close to horizontal wrt the car floor-plane, have an intersection point ("PC" or "RC") that zooms off to infinity ("parallel lines meet at infinity"), or at least out past Pluto, with any small amount of body pitch or roll. But this make NO DIFFERENCE to the amount of anti-pitch, anti-roll, or jacking forces, which, again, depend only on the slopes of the n-lines.

Of course, Claude feels that the PCs/RCs have some sort of magical powers, the details of which he doesn't want to reveal, so you might get marked down in the Design tent if you give him an old-fashioned "Mechanical" explanation for how these things work.

Based on the longitudinal and lateral n-line slopes of all the cars I have ever driven, I reckon the closer to horizontal (wrt car floor) that the n-lines are (and remain), then the more benign the handling, and the better the ride and grip over bumps.
    ~~~o0o~~~

Bottom line, pick the antis that give you the simplest, quickest-to-build, most reliable car you can manage, providing the antis are roughly in the range given above (ie. n-lines closer to horizontal are better). If a particular concept has anti-dive = 13.7819...%, but it also gives you an exceptionally neat and tidy (and strong and stiff and light and easy-to-build+++) car, then go for it!

Z
    Last edited by Z; 10-17-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Mams,

I think you have gotten a lot of useful hints. Remember that there is no magic to physics (it is not quantum physics) and many people have their own opinions on what is important and what is less important, but the bottom line is understand your system. If you do need a practical number to start with go for a value between 25% to 35%, I have designed quite a lot of car's and that is a "walk in the park" number on which you cannot do much wrong. If I may recommend, do create for yourself a simple excel sheet with some basic formulas that are important for you and do your trade off studies,excel is the perfect tool for that. Feel free to look around on my site too for inspiration.

Cheers,
    dynatune, www.dynatune-xl.com

Mams,

Some further comments regarding "How to design an FSAE car?".
    ~~~o0o~~~

This is the WRONG WAY.
    ====================
    Scene - FSAE Team Weekly Product Development Design Review Committee Meeting.

Team-Leader "Geez guys, we're already a cupla weeks behind, and we gotta get this design stuff sorted soon! Suspension-Guy, we're still waiting for your kinematic numbers ..."

Suspension-Guy "Nuh, no problems, I got'em all here. See, I benchmarked all the expert opinions, ... aaaannd ... based on that I did this great Matlab-based Monte-Carlo optimisation routine ... computer had to run all weekend!!! Anyhooos, ... it's given me these super accurate results for all the main parameters. Like here it says we have to run 18.74281% anti-dive, and here ..."

T-L "Hang on ... what's that Monte stuff anyway? How does it work?"

S-G "Err ..., not really sure. But it IS super accurate ..."

Frame-Guy "Whoaaa!!! These wishbone mounting points are gonna make the frame a freakin' nightmare! There's gonna be tubes running everywhere... And count the nodes!!!"

S-G "Yeah, well that's your job... That's why you're on the team..."

Aero-Guy "I don't think I can fit my undertray in that space..."

S-G "Oh, stop wingeing A-G, and there is no "I" in "team". Anyway, aero's a wank! FSAE is all about screamin' acceleration!! Pull-your-face-off braking!!! Stuff like that..."
    ~~~o0o~~~

This might be a BETTER WAY.
    =======================

T-L "So, updates everyone. Keep in mind we're cutting metal in five weeks. What you got S-G?"

S-G "Well, we chopped up that old car and made all the suspension parts super adjustable. Got in a good 12 hours testing on it so far. But here's the funny thing,.. err, sorta funny-strange... All the good drivers said they could FEEL a difference between the settings, but for most of the settings, sorta in the middle of the range, well, ... the drivers couldn't really say which was better or worse??? Bottom line, I think we've got quite a bit of freedom in how we do this..."

F-G "I'll jump in here ..., ummm, 'cos I was doing some of that driving. Anyway, I reckon if we do this sort of layout, ... look, here's a sketch ..., then we can get really good camber behaviour ..., it's that short-FVSA stuff you talk about S-G ..., AND the frame can be super simple! Look, just a cupla straightish tubes running through here, and a minimum of nodes..."

A-G "Yeah, I like that too, because it gives me plenty of room for the main undertray stiffening ribs..."

S-G "Hmmm, well, yeah, maybe ... but it gives kinda low anti-dive ... though I guess the testing showed that didn't matter too much..."

A-G "Well, I want to put a main undertray cross-spar here, to take the aero loads out to the wheels, and you could fit a "third-spring" directly to it... You know, like the aero-springs on "real" racecars ..., but more direct..."

S-G "Yeah, I see... Then I can run softer corner springs, which is always good for grip. Let's have a closer look at that sketch..."
    ~~~o0o~~~

Of course, when you get real jobs you will probably have to do it the top way. FSAE might be your last and only chance to try it the bottom way...

Z
    Last edited by Z; 10-20-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. Bottom line, design something that is manufacturable while keeping the other aspects of the car in mind

To mams and gautham:
    Claude put a very subtle but important point in his previous post (point number 5). An anti-dive front suspension setup will partly help control the pitch attitude of the car. That, along WITH the rear suspension geometry is what defines the real pitch attitude you will see. At the end, you can do many very different things, and as many have said already, it depends on WHY you want (or need) anti-something, and why do you think it will help (or will it?).
    Both of you (gotham and mams) did not put here the reasoning that lead you to think or decide you needed anti dive.
    And for anybody else that does not have these concepts clear, I recommend to go ride a bike with suspension, more than 100mm of travel, to amplify effects (hint: it has independent front and rear brakes, and anti-lift geometry at the rear).

jpusb

Good point.

The front AND the rear "anti" geometry will play a roll in your pitch and heave Vs time during longitudinal acceleration. But so will your springs and dampers and suspended mass and non suspended mass inertia. Kinematics is not everything but it is the first thing you should be looking at because you can't patch a bad kinematics with spring and damper adjustments. Archimedes said "give me a leverage and a application point and I will lift the world". A force is defined by an application point and a direction and an intensity. Worry about the application point and the direction before you worry about the intensity.

Some people look at the anti-dive totally ignoring the rear suspension as if there was no rear part of the car. Or the anti-squat as if the front was not existing. If they want to think that way then they need to think about the anti outside wheel going up and the nati inside wheel in droop with the car in roll in front view.

FSAE / FS car have about 1200 mm of front and rear track and about 1.5 to 2.8 (with downforce) G of lateral acceleration. And about 1600 mm of wheelbase and 1.5 to 2.5 and even 3.0 G in braking (with good drivers). So it is not as if longitudinal weight transfer is negligible, correct? Then I wonder why some students spend weeks thing about roll centers (axis) (kinematics and ideally force based) but they do not think about pitch centers (axis). The car is a whole, it has 4 wheels and you need to think 3D. Looking at the car in 2D is a good, simplified process but it is only a beginning.

When students see their car lifting the inside rear wheel they think, spring, damper, roll centers etc.... but what if this inside rear wheel lift started in the braking zone...?

And do not forget your compliances; it can completely screwed up your kinematics target reaching.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

Claude,

Since you often promote the idea that Roll and Pitch Centres (or -centers, or -axes) are a good way of thinking about the car as a whole, can you please help me with this following problem?

In a simplified 2-D analysis, consider the end-view, or side-view, of a car (doesn't matter which). The horizontal distance between the two wheelprints (= track or wheelbase) is 2 metres. The left wheelprint has a "force-line" (or "n-line", or "line-from-wheelprint-through-its-IC"...) that slopes up-to-right at 1:100 (= rise:run, or ~0.01 radians up from horizontal). The right wheelprint has its "force-line" sloping up-to-right at 0.010,000,000,1 radians.

By my figuring, the above car has its Roll or Pitch Centre (which is the intersection point of the above two force-lines, or n-lines), at an altitude of 2,000 KILOMETRES (ie. well and truly into space!), and at a lateral position of 200,000 KILOMETRES to the right of the car (ie. half way to the Moon!!!).

So here is my problem.

Q1. Is the above a GOOD place, or a BAD place, to have a Roll or Pitch Centre? Please give reasons WHY???

Q2. If the right wheelprint has its force-line slope up-to-LEFT at 0.01 radians (ie. still VERY close to horizontal), then the intersection point (= R/PC) is at mid-track/wheelbase, and at a height of 1 cm. Is this a better position for the "Centre"? And, most importantly, WHY???

Awaiting your helpful insights...

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post

So here is my problem.

Z
    I think you have more than one.
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

This just tells me you have either low anti-dive and low pro-lift (side view) or a slightly asymmetrical roll setup (front view).

Whether you choose to define it in coordinates of:
    [n-line slope front, n-line slope rear]
    [n-line slope left, n-line slope right]
    [pitch cen Z, pitch cen X]
    [rol cen Z, roll cen Y]

is pretty irrelevant IMO.

There seems to be a growing acceptance that the body doesn't roll about the roll centre or pitch about the pitch centre so I don't really see the problem with using them as a set of "general coordinates" to define a suspension design. As you have demonstrated, sometimes they aren't convenient to use - but often they are. Really not worth agonizing over...
    Last edited by Tim.Wright; 11-19-2013 at 02:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast