+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dyno test in india

we are first year FSAE team and this year we are using Royal Enfield 500cc EFI engine for the competetion, i would like to ask where in India engine dyno testing facility is available

Veyron,

An engine dyno is tough to find in India and even tougher to get time on. Companies like ARAI, Bosch, Cummins, Tata etc have engine dynos, but are completely booked by their own internal projects or customer projects.

I'd recommend going to racing teams here such as red rooster racing, they have a hub dyno that could be hired out for a day. You can map your engine out and possibly tune it by matching the rpm read out by the dyno to the actual rpm of the engine (match the gear ratios).

These dynos are basically braking dynos and do not motor the engine. Motoring is quite helpful as you can map real lower torque regions with ease. PM me if you require any further information.
    Regards,
    Nikhil Jali
    Electrical Head '10
    Engine & DaQ '07, '08, '09, '11
    Ashwa Racing

I remember seeing this topic come up a year or two ago. Dynos can potentially be a huge expense, whether you're paying someone to use theirs, or a lot of time and money buying and setting your own up.

Our baja team had an interesting and simple one they put together, was going to throw a picture up but apparently our storage room has just had the lock changed and I don't have a new key yet. It's just an inertial dyno; literally a very large chunk of cast iron (it sort of looks like a cross between a manhole cover and a train wheel) that they have on a stand, connected to a sprocket for one level of gear reduction (guessing maybe a 2 or 3:1 input to output ratio).

All a dyno really needs to be is something that absorbs power. For that "giant wheel" dyno all you need to know is the inertia and drive ratio input, and use a simple tach and stopwatch. That will only give you a crude estimate; you can get many more data points by taking video of the tach. Then you can play it back in slow motion and get a ?t for, say, every 500 rpm. Take your known effective flywheel inertia and your ?t, do a little math, and voila, torque and power at several rpm points.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

+ Reply to Thread