+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tire data into sims

For the teams that have made their own sims, what kind of tire model do you use? Has anyone tried using the MRA non-dimensional model?
    "Man, I need to practice more!" - Kenny Wallace
    "Try not to have a good time... this is supposed to be educational." - Charles M Schulz
    -OptimumG 2005-2006
    -Turner Motorsports 2008-2009
    -Black Swan Racing 2010 & 2011 Team and Driver's Champions
    -HPD Race Engineer 2011-2014
    -Currently Freelance Data/Race Engineer

we had private flat trac tests done, and built our own model right out of RCVD. Put it directly into our in-house models and Carsim, had a few bugs but no big issues. Good correlation, too.
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

I use the MRA model for my sims. It's convenient if you are programming in MATLAB.

flavorPacket were your tests performed at Calspan? If so how much do you have to scale your grip down to get simulated performance down to real life levels?
    Vince Libertucci
    U of T Racing Alumn
    2004 - 2008

You had private Flat Trac testing done? Wow. That sounds outrageously expensive, or someone is very generous.

vince,

the tests were not done at calspan, but we still have scaling factors in our model.

exFSAE,

can you really put a price on doing things the way you think is right?
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

ExFSAE, you would be surprised how much you can accomplish if you set high goals.

There are a lot of people out there that are willing to work with FSAE teams and create opportunities; even if you think that you don't have a budget for it.
    Villanova FSAE '05
    U of M FSAE '06 '07

+ Reply to Thread