+ Reply to Thread

Thread: difference between 1st and 2nd year car

what are the differences a team need to made in a 1st year car for 2nd year competetion??does chassis need to be built a whole..and what are the componenets which must be changed?

what are the differences a team need to made in a 1st year car for 2nd year competetion??does chassis need to be built a whole..and what are the componenets which must be changed?

FSAE and FSAE West
    Rule 2.3.3.1
    Only first year vehicles may enter Formula SAE and Formula SAE West. To be classified as a "first year vehicle" a car must, as a minimum, have a completely new frame. Photographic or other evidence will be used to determine if the frame is new. If there is any question about whether or not the car is in fact a first year vehicle, it will be the sole responsibility of the team to produce such evidence as the organizers or judges may require.

Vehicles that have competed during any previous Formula SAE year are prohibited from Formula SAE and Formula SAE West.

FSAE Australia, Brazil, Italy, and Formula Student
    2.3.4.2 Second Year Vehicled: FSAE-A, FSAE-B, FSAE-I and Formula Student
    Vehicles that have competed during any one (1) previous Formula SAE year may compete provided that they have been substantially modified from their first appearance. Photographic and design documentation detailing the modifications are required along with a statement from the team's Faculty Advisor.

so um... there you go.
    Joel Schmidt

Sorry, I'll summarize.

American competitions require a car with a new frame. All other sanctioned competitions allow second year cars with substancial modifications. Modifications should be discussed with SAE prior to the competition to ensure the car passes. You can get a good idea on these forums on what a substancial modification is, but there's no insurance that it'll pass with the judges.
    Joel Schmidt

ok tell me one thing...suppose we participate in Formula SAE or formula sae west...can we participate with same car or with very slight modification in any other later in season??

Bhardwaj,
    Your question is covered in Rule 2.3.2, which states:
    "2.3.2 The Formula SAE Competition Year
    For the purpose of defining first, second and third year cars, a competition "year" is any consecutive run of the Series, i.e. Formula SAE, Formula SAE West, Formula SAE Brasil, Formula SAE Italy, Formula SAE Australasia, and Formula Student held within a roughly 12 month period counting from the event in which a vehicle first competes. For example, a car that competes first in Formula SAE Australasia is classified as a "first year car" until the following year's Formula SAE Australasia competition."

In other words, a car will be a "first year car" from the first time you run it in the Official Series until the same event approximately 1 year later. The only other proviso is that the car MUST comply with all the Rules of the year of the event. For example, the Australian cars that were built to run in FSAE-Australasia in December 2005 (RMIT, UWA and Wollongong) had to be updated to the 2006 Rules to run in the 2006 event in Michigan 3 weeks ago, and in FSAE-West next week in California.

or in other words...if we participate in us 2006(any)..then we can participate with exactly same car in australasia or germany or any other within calender??

Hi Bhardwah,
    Technically your assumption is correct, although entries for FS Germany have closed.
    You would be more than welcome in Australia in December 2006 with a car built for FSAE or FSAE West.
    There is a limit to the number of entries that can be accepted in Australia, so might I suggest you send an 'Expression of interest' to the organisers.
    Some deadlines for that competition are approaching, so I suggest you visit the Australian website for details.
    Regards
    Pat Clarke

PS, a word of advice. If you have prepared documentation for FSAE, it may need to be revised slightly for FSAE-A. Australia is a metric country, and so the Spec Sheet and Design Review should reflect that.
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

+ Reply to Thread