+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asking for advice

I can't find in the rule book, anything mentioning outside help.
    Something along the lines of asking for advice. Can someone point me in the right direction.

I can't find in the rule book, anything mentioning outside help.
    Something along the lines of asking for advice. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Your request here is very vague, as you should probably be more specific...

Nevertheless, a good engineer is one who uses his/her resources to the best of their abilities (within ethical reason...) to accomplish the task at hand.

With that, most resources I could possibly think of for advice are totally within the domain of the rules.
    B.J. Stoney
    Bearcat Motorsports Alumni '02-'07
    University of Cincinnati
    benjamin.stoney@gmail.com

How can someone help, that isn't a member of the school/team?
    Is advice the only way?

Of course not.

For example, if you need parts CNC machined, but do not have your own CNC machine, then those parts can be outsourced, whether you pay for that service or receive sponsorship for it.
    Jerry Harding
    University of South Florida - Formula SAE
    Engine/Drivetrain

Lets say you need a part made, that you aren't capable of or don't have the time or resources to learn how to make. You can't pay to get it done.

If you have a GOOD question and cannot find it using the search tool, you ask on the forums. Also, sometimes a google search is helpful too (www.google.com)

Lastly, if you have someone come in and build your car for you, then whats the point of doing this competition? You won't learn anything, the judges will tear you apart, and its just morally wrong.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions and getting people to help you learn how to fabricate in the shop. As long as you build everything that goes on your car (within reason, obvsiouly not the engine etc.) and can understand why you built it so, then you are doing things correctly and asking the right questions.
    B. Bell
    UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

Also, like many teams probably have, we have a mentor who has built cars since the 70s as a profession.

We always seek him for advice on our project. He absolutely does not tell us how to build our car, but he does offer good advice and things we should pay attention too. He also lets us know if he things something may be safe or not since he has done tech for NASCAR (NASCRAP...) and other types of racing.

He also likes to fuck with our heads and keep us on our toes by making crazy suggestions which we need to filter through and decide if hes messing with us or helping us.

This is a good source for adivce and is within rules like everything else I stated above in my previous post.
    B. Bell
    UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JerryLH3:
    Of course not.

For example, if you need parts CNC machined, but do not have your own CNC machine, then those parts can be outsourced, whether you pay for that service or receive sponsorship for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2.3.1 Vehicle Eligibility
    Vehicles entered into Formula SAE competitions must be conceived, designed,
    and fabricated by the students without direct involvement from professional
    engineers, automotive engineers, racers, machinists or related professionals.

Paying for parts to be machined is, in fact, against the rules. Luckily for many teams, it is just another one of the many rules the judges fail to enforce.
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

See, I have a little problem with this little bit of rule on what can and can't be done by the team. We have some Ti parts that need to be welded, however, the rules committee is objectionable to it because Ti is hard to weld correctly. Fine, so we say there is a guy around here that is a professional welder who does Ti all day and can do it for us. The rules committee replies that we can't outsource welding because someone else will be building our car then. I've replied and haven't heard back since. I want to know how this is different from somebody turning over a part to a machinist to mill because they are uncapable of doing the job themselves? They aren't designing the car in any way.

I don't see where it is different from turning parts over to a machinist. Many schools do it, it is a violation of the rules, and nobody enforces it.
    Sam Zimmerman

Vandals Racing alum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast