+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kart brakes, go-cart, shifter kart, superkart, etc.

OK, because of the "Life, the Universe, and ..." post, I went digging to explore the kart brakes option.

There is an Italian company called Wildkart, and they make some really nice products. The interesting thing to note is that the calipers were designed to have the pads pulled away from the rotors with springs. Very nice. The vented rotors are 200 mm and 210 mm, which would seem to me to be the right diameter for a Formula car. I don't know what pads are available, but EBC seems to make a lot of pads for karts. Brembo and Wilwood also make kart brakes.

Here's some picture of the Wildkart brakes.

Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

OK, because of the "Life, the Universe, and ..." post, I went digging to explore the kart brakes option.

There is an Italian company called Wildkart, and they make some really nice products. The interesting thing to note is that the calipers were designed to have the pads pulled away from the rotors with springs. Very nice. The vented rotors are 200 mm and 210 mm, which would seem to me to be the right diameter for a Formula car. I don't know what pads are available, but EBC seems to make a lot of pads for karts. Brembo and Wilwood also make kart brakes.

Here's some picture of the Wildkart brakes.

Dan De Clute-Melancon
    Iowa State FSAE alumni
    Project Manager 03-04
    Engine Team Leader 02-03

Don't kart calipers with return springs require special master cylinders (closed system instead of open)? I'm sure some kart guys will let us know.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

shifer carts are a LOT lighter then the average fsae car, but since duel rear brakes are becomming more popular, they would prob do the job there
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Cheers Dan, that is great info. I owe you a beer!
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

We use kart breaks on our car, they don't seem to be to good for us thats simply because our master cylinder wasn't really meant for the setup we're using, but they've been good enough so far. BryanP would probably be able to answer your questions he used to build and race shifter karts
    Don't buy it, Build it

The hydraulic advantage on a kart is much lower than used on a car. This is achieved by running small dia. pistons, typically 1" on a 2 piston. with a 7/8" or 15/16" master. Purpose of this is small fluid displacement v. piston travel.
    They travel a lot due to the unique situ in a kart where the axle flexes in the chassis enough to need the pads to be pulled off the discs at least .030" per side to stop any drag.
    (when you only have 100cc it all counts)
    At the end of a long race clearance can be up to .120" which = loong pedal. U need to be constantly shimming the pads (pain in ass).
    AP master cyls can be used, much safer than the sealed systems the Italians love, small leak=no brakes.

Dent kart brakes (OZ) manafact. ported master cyls.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Denny Trimble:
    Don't kart calipers with return springs require special master cylinders (closed system instead of open)? I'm sure some kart guys will let us know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The key is to look at the brakes that ENDURO karts use. They have bigger engines and run on much bigger tracks and use much bigger brakes. Top speeds can be above 120 mph!!

www.kelgate.co.uk makes some 6 piston REAR enduro kart brakes that could be adopted for front caliper use.

BTW...what's wrong with using enduro kart master cyliners, lines, and pedals already designed to match those 6 piston calipers they sell?

"The key is to look at the brakes that ENDURO karts use. They have bigger engines and run on much bigger tracks and use much bigger brakes."
    No they are not, FormulaA,Rotax Max,Superkart use the same components but there is obviously diff brands. 4 & 6 piston is in common use but I didn't want to complicate the post. Kelgate is the AP of the kart world, very reliable systems and for that reason are used by most superkart manfacturers. Several brands come with or without spring retraction and it is not used on 250 superkarts which btw max out at 265kmhr + For 10" wheels the rear kart disc dia. is too big and the fronts are tiny.

I'm wrong, Kelgate now make very nice 6.5"
    front discs in various thickness incl. vented but not cheap!

Whoa....calm down there Mr. Hester. Do you need a hug?

Who says you have to run 10" wheels?

Great...so they top out at 265 kmhr...all the more reason to look at using the brakes!

Take these brakes and couple them to a lightweight chassis and a Cannondale engine and you might have a nice FSAE car. Just a thought ya know!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast