+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Books on: Steering design, analysis and modelling

Hi guys.

I have searched a bit on sae and amazon for books purely on steering design but i come up with either:

a) steering refurbishment and alignment for the auto industry and workshop

b) the typical sae paper collections where some guy at GM or Toyota has a team of 10 people with 100 years experience doing complex modelling and theoretical analysis, backed up by expensive testing on some big proving ground. ie no help for any race car person.

My question is: does anybody know about any decent book wich is the equivalent of the Milliken/Staniforth/Dixon but which concentrates on steering only?

I expect a no. I know that most books have chapters on steering and I own most of these. I was just looking out for something which is a complete work on the subject, starting from mechanical designs, materials and components, basic kinematics, examples and up to math modelling or modelling in say ADAMS. I know some chapters in Bastow have good stuff and of course the Milliken. Just if anyone has a book they wish to recommend, then maybe there is a book out there that is a real killer on steering.

Maybe someone should write a book on race car steering systems, rather than just chapters. There are aspects of power steering and linkages which are of great interest but only bigger teams like F3 upwards have this knowledge and it is never published. Some books are not well advertised like for example the Rowley book "Race Car Engineering" is only available from his website due to probably high costs if he used a bigger publisher and distributor. So there may be a book out there on what I am looking for but I just have not heard of it.

Hope to hear some views on this. Cheers

Chris
    ...we got emergency on planet earth

Hi guys.

I have searched a bit on sae and amazon for books purely on steering design but i come up with either:

a) steering refurbishment and alignment for the auto industry and workshop

b) the typical sae paper collections where some guy at GM or Toyota has a team of 10 people with 100 years experience doing complex modelling and theoretical analysis, backed up by expensive testing on some big proving ground. ie no help for any race car person.

My question is: does anybody know about any decent book wich is the equivalent of the Milliken/Staniforth/Dixon but which concentrates on steering only?

I expect a no. I know that most books have chapters on steering and I own most of these. I was just looking out for something which is a complete work on the subject, starting from mechanical designs, materials and components, basic kinematics, examples and up to math modelling or modelling in say ADAMS. I know some chapters in Bastow have good stuff and of course the Milliken. Just if anyone has a book they wish to recommend, then maybe there is a book out there that is a real killer on steering.

Maybe someone should write a book on race car steering systems, rather than just chapters. There are aspects of power steering and linkages which are of great interest but only bigger teams like F3 upwards have this knowledge and it is never published. Some books are not well advertised like for example the Rowley book "Race Car Engineering" is only available from his website due to probably high costs if he used a bigger publisher and distributor. So there may be a book out there on what I am looking for but I just have not heard of it.

Hope to hear some views on this. Cheers

Chris

On another note, any other decent books on data logging other than

Simon McBeath (ok but a bit stuck with some lower end data softwares and hillclimbing)

Data Power (expensive and said by some to be a bit out of date or more as a nice book to own but maybe not worth the price tag it has now (rarety))

Again, probably no. So, back to reading manufacturers online help files and seriously hurting my eyes. Now, where did I have those free 20 Canon colour toners...

+ Reply to Thread