+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams from India

Hey Shashi he went to anna university to judge the design challenge.

Heres a post after a long long time.

Pradeep, good to see you here.

One thing that I noticed that the points that were made in the above posts are all necessary to have a team build a car that is a contender to be the best piece of engineering Technical at the competition and it is amazing there is not a single word that can be classified as technical in it. This just goes to show that along with having a team that is technically good, a good management is also what is required.

I would agree both with Pat and Mahek here. Recently, I was at FSAE India. The event had a Design Presentation and a Vehicle Inspection. IMO, it could have been better, but atleast its a start. Out of 28 teams that participated, 11 got their cars. I will not comment on the way the cars were designed since the competition was just 4 months after the registration. But I would definitely say that I saw the same stuff on those cars as the ones on our first year car. It all comes down to experience and how much are you willing to push the envelope.

About cleanliness and the presentation of the car, again it is something that we learnt the hard way after Claude kicked our ass at Germany for 2 consecutive years. It is something he mentions to me whenever we happen to meet, the latest at FSAE India, where he was the Chief Judge. It was something that he mentioned at the post competition review also. There are a lot of fronts that Indian teams need to work on and I think that established teams like IIT Bombay and Orion Racing, Mumbai have a major role to play here.

As for the team structure, we've modified ours this year because of certain reasons. We do not have a Team Manager or Team Captain.

We have 3 co-ordinators taking charge of Technical, Non-technical and Administrative. The non-technical co-ordinator takes care of Logistics, Marketing and Publicity. The Administrative Head takes care of all the paperwork there is to be done. The Technical co-ordinator makes sure that the designs are being done with timelines in mind.

In case work is not being done at any front, it is upto 6-7 experienced guys to get the work done. Not fool proof, I know, but this change feels good. We also have juniors working along with us. They're good to have around when you need sometime to run around the place to get manufacturing done. This year, a big agenda on the senior guys list is design/knowledge transfer and carrying forward your designs from one year to the next.
    Shashi Maurya,
    Orion Racing India, Mumbai.

never mind the fact that there are an awful lot of countries out there where people don't grow up surrounded by cars like in the US.
    Ehm....we live surrounded by cars....crappy cars.

Ok, how about starting a thread called "Newbees' Thread" were they could post their (our) work so it could be checked for compliance with the rules ..... and logic.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

Originally posted by RollingCamel:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">never mind the fact that there are an awful lot of countries out there where people don't grow up surrounded by cars like in the US.

Ok, how about starting a thread called "Newbees' Thread" were they could post their (our) work so it could be checked for compliance with the rules ..... and logic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think as long as anyone who posts there is respectful and has demonstrated initiative in doing a substantial amount of their own research, the forums will be quite helpful.
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

I think as long as anyone who posts there is respectful and has demonstrated initiative in doing a substantial amount of their own research, the forums will be quite helpful.

Chief Engineer
    Engine Head
    Columbia University FSAE
    +1
    Shashi Maurya,
    Orion Racing India, Mumbai.

Originally posted by Mikey Antonakakis:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RollingCamel:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">never mind the fact that there are an awful lot of countries out there where people don't grow up surrounded by cars like in the US.

Ok, how about starting a thread called "Newbees' Thread" were they could post their (our) work so it could be checked for compliance with the rules ..... and logic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I think as long as anyone who posts there is respectful and has demonstrated initiative in doing a substantial amount of their own research, the forums will be quite helpful. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    +1
    And as long as they don't demand anybody on the forums give them anything.

Bump
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

If your University does not support you, show them this :

When we made a presentation to the University officials at the start of the season we told them how having a good FSAE team could help attract prospective engg students , they bought it and how...

Plus having a picture of the car in newspapers across the country, does make the sponsors real happy.

It is upto YOU to convince your University that an FSAE program will be beneficial for the them also.I hope this helps.

@Bemo:Thanks for all the help at FS UK , I never really got a chance to say thank you to you guys after the party.

@Mikey Antonakakis:Thank you for the help with WAVE, our engine model is running pretty well now.
    Pradeep V. Pandurangi

DUT Racing Team, TU Delft
    2013: Chassis engineer
    www.dutracing.nl

Formula Manipal, Manipal University
    2010: Team Leader
    2009: Engine team
    http://www.formulamanipal.in

Bump for recent post.

You're very welcome Pradeep, let me know if there is anything else I can help with. I should have WAVE back up and running today. Best of luck this year!
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 60 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast