+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams from India

There is whole branch of Mechanical Engineering here called design for abuse. :-)

@RaceCatt69: Thats the best shot you got bro? You should come visit, I'll show you around. You'll like it here, we have loads of people just like you (do less, yap more)... so ya if you have nothing constructive to contribute, piss off.

@The_Man: I like that fact you take that it in a sporting spirit, but its high time we give some back. Lets not sit back and let people say anything they want..

Who's the moderater around here anyway?
    Pradeep V. Pandurangi

DUT Racing Team, TU Delft
    2013: Chassis engineer
    www.dutracing.nl

Formula Manipal, Manipal University
    2010: Team Leader
    2009: Engine team
    http://www.formulamanipal.in

@Pradeep: I have a couple of things in mind. I'll send you an e-mail about it.
    Mahek Mody
    www.mahekmody.com
    Technical Lead - Vehicle Dynamics - Altair Engineering
    Head of Rules Committee at Formula Student India 2015
    www.formulastudent.in
    Was -
    IIT Bombay Racing - FSAE 2008; Baja SAE India 2009; FSUK 2009; Baja SAE India 2010

Thanks Pradeep and The_Man for the above posts.
    By the way Indian Universities gearing up for the SupraSAE event at BIC, Delhi in September.
    65 teams this time from possible 110 entries.

My observations from the 4 Indian cars and teams I saw at FS UK..

1. Car design and execution is poor but the main issue is simply lack of preparation. Before a seminar on slip angle, roll centers, steering geometry or yaw inertia I believe Indian teams need first a simple seminar on project management, organization, realistic evaluation of the challenges they are facing, to set reachable goals. On Time, on Target.

2. No one of the 4 cars did pass the brake test. Would braking be not important? Is there a connection with the fact that India is the country which has the highest rate of death on the road? That seems to be a recurring issue with Indian teams. As if once their car has started and has moved on its own, the students have reached the goal. Lack of realistic goal definition?

3. I keep wondering why teams do put their car on the plane and decide to fly to the event while they KNOW that they did not test enough, that their car is not ready to race and often they know that their car will probably not pass the technical inspection.

4. Arriving at the competition with a poor design and a poor execution is one thing but showing up with a car which was not tested or, worse, was not finished is another. I spoke with several of the Indian FS team members and when I asked what the issues were I heard things like "the car was shipped late" or "we did not get the budget on time" or "we had issues with the custom" or "some specific parts were delivered late". What I hear is "It is not our fault". I hear victimization. I hear denial. I hear that you are not in control of your own life. There will always be glitches (we say s**t happen): on this point of view Indian teams not different than any other team. You need to take into account the unexpected by leaving enough room in the schedule for each task. And you also need a plan B and even a plan C for each task.

5. When I asked WHY they came knowing they could not properly compete the answer was "for the experience". I agree it is an experience. You effectively did learn a lot. But with a bit more organization, you could have learned much, much more. One problem I have with the "for the experience" statement is most students only do FSAE / FS one year so the experience is not really useful.... for you or for your team. Succeeding in FS / FSAE is a 3 to 5 year project.

6. "for the experience" can also be translated as a very selfish attitude. What about the others? What about the guys next year? Will they benefit from the experience of a car which did not compete? What about your friends and family, university and your country? How do you think they feel if they know you came from so far away and did not make even one meter of any of the 4 dynamic event. Sorry guys: your best is not good enough. This competition is not about just "being' there. It is about participating. You did not participate; you just came.

7. Many years ago when one of my kids was in first grade, I visited his classroom and I saw on the wall a poster explaining the difference between a error and a mistake. Errors can happen. They are unexpected. That is why you need testing: to resolve errors that did not occur in design. However mistakes occur when you know there is an error and you somewhat decide not to solve it. Outside observers will look at it as "they do not care". Mistake do occurs when the team did not use the experience of errors and/or did not solve it. Often there is a lack of the group awareness. Here is a question for you. How many errors and how many mistake did you do? Can you honestly and objectively answer this question? What can you do to improve?

Before you understand the science of tire model, kinematics, weight transfer , damping etc... and their application to car design and testing it is clear that most Indian team needs 2 things

1. Understand the challenges. I already posted my opinion that for any new team or any team which has not been able to decently compete in the past (by decently I mean for example at least successfully pass all steps of technical inspection) a visit by students and faculty adviser to 2 competitions a year in advance should be mandatory.

2. Take a course on project management. A good one, not an academic one, like I saw too many from Indian university on youtube

I think the S.M.A.R.T method is one of the methods which would be the most useful Indian teams

Your goals must be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant (or Results oriented or Realistic), Time framed.

On my way to FSG with the hope to see better Indian cars

Claude
    Claude Rouelle
    OptimumG president
    Vehicle Dynamics & Race Car Engineering
    Training / Consulting / Simulation Software
    FS & FSAE design judge USA / Canada / UK / Germany / Spain / Italy / China / Brazil / Australia
    [url]www.optimumg.com[/u

@ Claude and Pat:

I really hope you make it to the Italian Event too.
    Sriganesh
    Random Bitch '06
    ECU and DAQ '07 '08 '09
    Engine '09 '10
    Ashwa Racing, RVCE
    Bangalore, India

1. Car design and execution is poor but the main issue is simply lack of preparation. Before a seminar on slip angle, roll centers, steering geometry or yaw inertia I believe Indian teams need first a simple seminar on project management, organization, realistic evaluation of the challenges they are facing, to set reachable goals. On Time, on Target
    For 1st year teams it is quite hard to set realistic goals without knowing what it takes in the 1st place, even the team vision ain't clear.

3. I keep wondering why teams do put their car on the plane and decide to fly to the event while they KNOW that they did not test enough, that their car is not ready to race and often they know that their car will probably not pass the technical inspection.
    Some just for fun, school politics and corrupted souls who would just go to be said they participated in this and that, and some for the experience if it is going to be shared with the following team. We were pretty much forced to go.

4. Arriving at the competition with a poor design and a poor execution is one thing but showing up with a car which was not tested or, worse, was not finished is another. I spoke with several of the Indian FS team members and when I asked what the issues were I heard things like "the car was shipped late" or "we did not get the budget on time" or "we had issues with the custom" or "some specific parts were delivered late". What I hear is "It is not our fault". I hear victimization. I hear denial. I hear that you are not in control of your own life. There will always be glitches (we say s**t happen): on this point of view Indian teams not different than any other team. You need to take into account the unexpected by leaving enough room in the schedule for each task. And you also need a plan B and even a plan C for each task.
    We did fall into the same problem, our team simply wasn't near the potential of a 1st year team. We arguments about "We Egyptians work better at the late stages and be pressured." Clearly we aren't competing with Egyptians only and this mindset creates rubbish only.
    There were some really hard conditions but what made me more disappointed at the time that we didn't really do what we had to.
    Understanding and believing in teamwork is something we need to train ourselves on.
    Conveyor Systems Design Engineer - EgyRoll
    AUMotorsports Team Leader 09-10
    Alexandria University, Egypt.

Congratulations to Orion Racing (KJ Somaiya), that is a fantastic showing at FS Germany.

A new benchmark has been set :-)
    Mahek Mody
    www.mahekmody.com
    Technical Lead - Vehicle Dynamics - Altair Engineering
    Head of Rules Committee at Formula Student India 2015
    www.formulastudent.in
    Was -
    IIT Bombay Racing - FSAE 2008; Baja SAE India 2009; FSUK 2009; Baja SAE India 2010

Great news! Well done Orion Racing (KJ Somaiya), my heartiest congrats.

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Great achievement after 6 long years of hard work.
    Makes it even sweeter!

Team 2012 has made all the Orion Alumni very proud!
    Saad Ahmed
    Orion Racing India
    2009-2011

+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast