+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: UWA / Lotus 88 type cars

Originally posted by Owen Thomas:
    P.S. I cast my ballot for Formula cement mixer. It's easier to make and small scale ones could cool and mix beverages. For after the competition, of course.
    Owen if you make it to our neck of the woods before comp we may just need to try that one out....Although I think it would turn into kind of a racing bar stools type approach....we'd somehow manage to slap a fuel injected R6r onto it and watch that sum-bitch spin....could have your martini shaken AND stirred.
    South Dakota State University Alum
    Electrical/Daq/Engine/Drivetrain/Tire guy '09-'14

Go big, Go blue, Go JACKS!

we'd somehow manage to slap a fuel injected R6r onto it and watch that sum-bitch spin....could have your martini shaken AND stirred.
    Well now I'm just picturing the V8 blender. Shaken and stirred indeed...
    Owen Thomas
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

Where can i find photos of the UWA car ?

Tromoly thank you

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=2048%2C1366

Is that a spherical bearing housing?

I guess what we see is a combination of a tow bar and W spring made from mild steel? Is it heat treated? (doesnt matter?)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=2048%2C1366

what was the manufacturing method for these gears ? (esp the crown) EDM?

also UWAM team why did you choose to run a full fabricated beam passing under the main chassis in front and not mount the wheel in a similar way to the rear - with one less lower mounting point to allow steer (maybe with a top brace running through the cabin over the drivers feet )? The fabricated beam seems to limit the design of the undertray and size of tunnels - please dont take any of my comment as criticizing like a judge or know it all - i just imagine now that i am with you and thinking of ways to improve it

You have my respect for trying it
    Last edited by Xfsae; 10-30-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Yes the concept causes issues with it's low section height, and tunnels vs beam vs chassis and is LTI. (Less than ideal)

You are probably not aware of a FSAE rule requiring a cockpit leg bay template that reserves a large volume for the drivers legs. And also another rule disallowing any mechanical parts (except wing mounts) ahead of the chassis front bulk head.

We have looked (a lot) at the beam going in front of, or over the leg bay, but they have not got up

In front- bulk head rule + wheel base/CoM targets would need a side winder like Deakin Uni's. But This is how to you would do a larger car that probably has feet vs front wheel rules anyway.

Over the top - Actually over and under for super deep section. No one likes the looks.

Pete

Pete i am sure UWA has a lot of reasoning behind the way you do things . For the top brace passing through the cockpit i was thinking something like a reverse motocross steering bar shape to clear the bulky templates of FSAE at the end of this rod the spherical bearings or even oversized rod ends ( to resist bending) and direct attachment to the upright . This reverse motorcycle bar style tube is attached to the undertray longitudinally (front to rear) - in this way you could probably attach the front lower hub spericals directly to the undertray (without a brace passing under the main chassis) - in a similar fashion to what you did in the rear . Hope it makes sense .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast