+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How many "vintage" FSAE cars exist?

I am involved in one of the largest vintage races in the Eastern United States, the Mitty Challenge @ Road Atlanta. During a meeting it was noted that it might be interesting to see how many FSAE cars from years-past could be gathered up, for either a static display and/or an autocross. I can obtain display space at the Mitty (April 29-May 1st) if there are enough people and cars in the Southeast who would be interested.

I am involved in one of the largest vintage races in the Eastern United States, the Mitty Challenge @ Road Atlanta. During a meeting it was noted that it might be interesting to see how many FSAE cars from years-past could be gathered up, for either a static display and/or an autocross. I can obtain display space at the Mitty (April 29-May 1st) if there are enough people and cars in the Southeast who would be interested.

What defines an FSAE car as vintage?

3 years old? 8 years old?...
    EX-FSAE

I'm going to go with greater than 1 year old since it can't go to an official SAE competition after that.

Is this the same Dean Case that used to work at Ford and was involved with the Ford Motorsport Enthusiasts?
    My son's college may have a few cars from 1-12 years ago.

Our most vintage one is our 2006 car. It sort of runs, but in no condition similar to competition ready (save for maybe a lucky a-mod run). 2007 car (Mahle engine) gets paraded around to shows, but has no computer/wiring/halfshafts.

we do have one more older hanging on a wall, i think 2003 or 4, but it has very few working parts on it. Everything prior to that was lost to history some time ago.

Would be interesting to see who has the oldest working car. I've been to some schools who seem to have dozens of cars around the campus.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

I have an old 2002 car with most original parts. In the middle of a complete re-build since most of the bearings in the suspension are shot and the engine needs some new wiring. It wont be up and running for the 1st of May and probobly not a body til next winter, but it should be running for the SCCA later this summer.
    Geoff Van Gemert
    Western Michigan University
    2009-2010 Project Manager & Suspension Team Leader
    2008-2009 Suspension Team Leader
    2007-2008 Suspension

WPI has a car from 2000 still running and makes it out to a few AutoX events and test drives from time to time, though it could use a little TLC and some tweaking to make it really competition ready.

There are also cars from 2008 and possibly one from 2004 that could be available in running condition.
    WPI Formula SAE team

We still have the original first carbon monocoque car at our shop, but its no where near drivable condition.
    -Richard Mazur
    ASU

1989 Polytechnique de Montréal Formula SAE still running in autoslalom in Québec. Here is a thread on a french forum about the modifications they made: 1989 FSAE Poly

Be aware there is a lot of rod-end in bending!
    No fire wall and the radiator is ready leak on the driver's head.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast