+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterloo FSAE - suspended!

Bogus!

h t t p : / / jalopnik . com / #!5792168

Call me crazy, but that's some bullshiza. Time for every other FSAE to do the same in solidarity! I think they should call SAE to see if they can get their entry "transferred" to California so they can still run this year (it's after June 1!). Obviously the dean isn't in touch with how much work goes into one of these programs.

-Kirk

I agree. This is total crap.

Even if they get 'transfered' to California, I do not think they will be able to finish the car in time. It was 1 month to go to competition and as per my experience with FSAE that month is usually used to finish the car (atleast) and testing (if possible).

Wow, that's shocking.
    I don't understand how preventing the team from competing does anything other than make this higher profile.

I saw this. Unbelievable. Another prime example of University Administration hard at work to better the student experience.

I can't wait to get the first alumni letter asking for a donation....
    ------------------------------------------------
    Shields

“results from misuse of the student design centre space for an unauthorized photo shoot involving the Formula SAE vehicle,” said the dean of engineering, Adel Sedra

I'm confused was the issue the location, the car or both?

Yeah the FSAE "community" here has known for a little while, what with friends on different teams and such. Didn't feel it was my place to spread the news but apparently it's on jalopnik now...

The thing that bugs me is that this is apparently for the misuse of school property, but in my opinion building a car and NOT competing is far greater misuse of school property and funds. Waterloo also prides it self on co-op education, and I'm sure anyone on here will agree that building these cars leads to a better engineer than most internships will.

The photos were taken in a brand new building built essentially for their student teams...It's an unfortunate situtaion, I can understand why the adminsitration felt they had to do something, but I don't think that this was the "right" thing to do.
    EX-FSAE

From the announcement it looks like they can't even work on the car till after June 1st.

Here's another article:
    tinyurl .com /42hdmow

It is tempting to make a big stink about this, but I don't think that their team would appreciated it.

Originally posted by Will M:
    “results from misuse of the student design centre space for an unauthorized photo shoot involving the Formula SAE vehicle,” said the dean of engineering, Adel Sedra

I'm confused was the issue the location, the car or both?
    Both, I would presume. The location issue kind of makes sense. As for the car, I know we came to learn about our car being the university's property (both physically and intellectually) when we asked our department about possibly licensing a design of ours to a company to further fund the team.

That being said, this is way too harsh. I think it shows a clear lack of understanding on the admins' part. Even knowing the purpose of this photo shoot as well as the massive effort that went into the car's creation, they've undermined a serious part of the educational opportunity provided by the entire FSAE program by not letting them compete (even if it's just a one-event suspension).

Prashant Jayaraman

Bosch Motorsport - Sensor and Component Devleopment
    Illini Motorsports
    Engine, 2009-2011
    Minion, 2008

Not getting to go to comp sucks, but DAMN...you guys have a pretty attractive woman on your team...
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast