+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Fantasy Car

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Geoff,

YES !!! (On most of your points. )

However, I am a bit more of a bamboo and hemp sort of guy. No, not for smoking! Seriously, hemp used to be the gold standard for ropes amongst olden day sailors. Like bamboo, it is very fast growing, and very strong. These (and your balsa, kelp, +++) are the original composites.

Could a team realistically use hemp on an FSAE car? Well, look at Henry Ford's Hemp Car (A cynical person might say that the grainy footage showing the sledgehammering of the body panels is due to attempted suppression of this information. After all, the OEMs don't want the buying public thinking that cars can be made crash proof. )

Also good to see that others are realising that brown (= copper, walnut, Ferrari red, ++) can be a sexy colour!
    ~o0o~

Z
    Back from the dead and a tad offtopic, but this picture came through yesterday and I tought that anti-technology lovers would like it! (Some interesting features indeed)
    xlg_baby_autos_prize_1.jpg

The gas tank doubles as the impact attenuator, eliminating 1 part, nice. Give the tip of it a radius of 1.5" and that's a legal setup.
    I can also see the face shield is not an integral part of the helmet. Small details... think big!
    University of Tasmania (UTAS)

Jonny, hahahaha, never thought those as "good details"...but you made my day! BTW this is a "guide" on a cheap homebuillt car from 1931...
    Last edited by mech5496; 04-25-2014 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    For example, it took UWA's 2012 team of students "a couple of hours", using drawings and an actual car, to explain it to Claude, the motorsport expert.

Z
    Anyone know of any way to get to that "a couple of hours" link now that it 404s? I'm very curious...
    Mountain Lion Motorsports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13