+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Car

Kirk,

What is being used for a rain tire in that size? I didn't see anything on American Racer or Hoosiers website for that.

I haven't been privy to those plans. I believe the intent is either an ATV street tire or the "manufacturer's agent" route. You'd have to ask the team for the details.

-Kirk

Pretty sure Concordia ran the American Racers a few years ago. If I remember right, they've now got those mounted to their pit cart.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Kirk,

nice to hear the car is fast out of the box, should be a great satisfaction when a rad concept works. Regardinv tires, some compounds migt be well suited to FSAE. As long as rain tires go, you can akways groove some slicks...

Out of complete curiosity, does anyone know what compound that the UC Berkeley car is using?
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Sorry kirk, at the time of writing it felt impossible not to use the brown go kart name. It is certainly 'more complex' than that described by Z. are the uprights off the shelf too then? They look very easy to machine from what I can see, but wouldn't surprise me if they're off the shelf (looking at the brake mounts). I'd love a description / picture of the corner assembles if anyone from Berkeley can comment...?

Anyway, congratulations on the early build and the positive preliminary performance indicators!!!

(i was going to use pointer but thought it was a bit too much)
    Electronics Warwick Racing 11' Alumni

Fantasy car is a weird concept. Strangely enough innovation and creativity does not stem from lack of constraints, but the opposite.

A fantasy FSAE car, without budget or people constraints.

1. 4WD electric, max regen brake for min battery weight, carbon fibre monocoque, maybe active mass damper, and a very strange suspension package

2. E-85 turbo (electrically assisted), optimized for 4000-10000RPM to minimize friction losses etc. Hybrid frame, stressed engine. Maybe some rockets too, vectored to provide either thrust or downforce.

As Charles Kaneb posted, the fantasy car can be your newest creation, so our fantasy car will hopefully become reality this year

http://www.amzracing.ch/media/news/20130218_en.pdf

https://www.facebook.com/media...&type=1&l=8d888b99f1

169kg
    4WD electric drivetrain
    4x 35kW

0-100kph in roughly 2.6 seconds

Enough downforce to drive upside down way below the top-speed of 115km/h
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

Originally posted by JulianH:
    Enough downforce to drive upside down way below the top-speed of 115km/h
    Mmmmm, have a long hard think about that statement Julian ;-)

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Well Pat, these comments are of course always "theoretical" and more "popular science"

Let me rephrase that:

At about 100 kph, the car produces enough downforce that it can not only overcome the weight of the car but also would produce enough F_z on the ceiling to have the required F_x for the drag and the rolling resistance so that it doesn't slow down.
    -------------------------------------------
    Alumnus
    AMZ Racing
    ETH Zürich

2010-2011: Suspension
    2012: Aerodynamics
    2013: Technical Lead

2014: FSA Engineering Design Judge

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast