+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re-packing aftermarket mufflers

Hey everyone,

Sorry my reply took so long, but I'm sure you can all attest to many things slipping your mind in the wake of FSAE. We only dropped 6dB with the Yoshimura insert. Thanks to a forgiving inspector at noise test, we read 109.8 dB when the measurement was taken outside the rear wheel.

During the awards banquet there was mention of changes to be made with regards to the noise testing of production engines (or something along that line). Does anyone remember more specifically what was mentioned and/or care to speculate as to what rule changes we might see for next year?

Scott Israel
    Carnegie Mellon University

I think that was mainly affecting industrial engines. So if you're racing a John Deer, or doing something strange with a Briggs, you're ok.

Hey Guys,

Did you guys source your Yoshimura's from a wrecker or did you get it new?

Has anyone approached them for sponsorship?

Thanks

Sam

We bought our Yoshi new from Yoshimura-RD in Cali. They offer a discount to all FSAE teams; I believe on the order of 25%. I'd tell you who to contact, but in the past year I think at least two guys have left the technical sales department. The last guy I talked to was Aaron Austin if that's any help. I've not approached them as a sponsor for a couple reasons: They already offer a good discount and I don't know many teams that run their products w/o trying to modify them to pass noise test.

Anyway, their website is
    http://www.yoshimura-rd.com

Hope this helps and good luck.

Scott Israel
    Carnegie Mellon University

i believe cal poly pomona has had them as a sponsor in past years, but they're neighbors...
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Hey Scooter, this year we ran the Yosh model with "Zyclone" baffles and we passed at 106db with our 2003 F4i. After getting pretty well beat down in the last 2 competitions because of sound, we played it safe this year. I wouldn't recommend getting one from the scrapyard though. We noticed the Yosh get much louder and raspier just through a couple weeks of testing with it.

*Edit- We did NOT modify anything other than chop off the 2 feet of plumbing that came with it.
    Bubba {Year III Mech}
    University of Western Ontario
    '05, '06 Driveline Manager
    '06 CAD & Static Event Co-ord.

Yes, Yosh R&D and the Yoshimura Suzuki team are just a few minutes away from us, and we've had a few alumni work there.

EDIT: in 04, right before comp Yosh repacked our TRS muffler for us, we only passed noise by a few tenths.
    Cal Poly Pomona

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2