+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: FS UK registration process

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hopefully in the future they will find a compromise and make it easier for teams to attend at both events. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would be nice if they could bang heads on that one. It's the same as the Swedish Touring Car Championship and the British Touring Car Championship who brought their rules into line so that people could compete in both without compromise. Brings up numbers for both organisations. Maybe that's just a little too much smart thinking!
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

Let me put the cat among the pigeons!

As both FS and FSG are over subscribed, the organizers don't want to have teams enter both competitions, thereby giving more teams a chance to enter at least one event!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Royce:

As both FS and FSG are over subscribed, the organizers don't want to have teams enter both competitions, thereby giving more teams a chance to enter at least one event! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a fair comment Michael. Can I put forward the suggestion that in the future you allow a team to stipulate that they have designed their car towards a single event (if you aren't doing that already. Apologies for the ignorance as I am not directly involved in the registration process this year). It may help people to focus their efforts on a single solution rather than a compromise for both events.

I look forward to the competition this year.
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Royce:

As both FS and FSG are over subscribed, the organizers don't want to have teams enter both competitions, thereby giving more teams a chance to enter at least one event! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are quite a few teams though who are lucky enough to be registered for both events. My team (Raceyard Kiel) for example.
    On the other hand it seems to be quite obvious that preferrence has been given to British teams, with 33 British teams invited in class 1, that being 37% of all invited teams in class 1.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, why should I? I am just trying to figure out some reasons like eveybody else is...
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

Now: Scruitineer, Design Judge, application engineer @Altair engineering

Whatever you do, do it hard!

Lutz, that statement was concerning the seperate set of rules for class 1A and FSE, I believe, not class 1 in the UK and FSG.

From the IMECHE website
    "Class 1A cars (that allow new and novel powertrain technologies, resulting in race cars with low carbon emissions) have been encouraged as well as those without an FS / FSAE competition in their home country."

That might explain some obvious preferences. I hope that DART will get invited after the deadline for payment.

Bemo, why do you think class 1A is favouring hybrid concepts? I've seen that the "carbon footprint" of electricity is now higher than last year, but you should be able to build a much lighter and more effecient car with electric drive.
    What is for sure is that the carbon footprint of a carbon monocoque (irony?) is a huge drawback in the sustainability event - even though carbon fiber can be recycled nowadays.
    A maximum of 400 V is totally reasonable from my point of view, not only for security reasons, but it's also enough to push a 1500 kg car nicely.

Regards,
    Thomas

Dear Luniz,

Your comment that preference has been given to UK teams is misleading, indeed 37% of the slots have gone to home teams, however if you look at another 2 of the largest FS/ FSAE events, at FSG for example, over half have gone to home teams and at FSAE Michigan 65% have gone to their home teams. This is hardly making it unfair for non UK teams to register at FS!

Lets not forget the IMechE are the event organisers and ask yourself, who are their stakeholders? Yes, they do feel it appropriate that UK teams have a slot at their own event!

It is also unfair to expect FS to accept entries primarily from teams who have been unsuccessful in registering for an FS / FSAE elsewhere. Formula Student has been going since 1998 and in that time there are many overseas teams who have been coming each and every year. Why should they be turned away?

There are teams who have entered class 2 and 3 in the process of building up to a class 1 team, why should they be turned away?

Given that Class 1A is a relatively new and increasignly popular class, how can you put a cap on entries here? All Class 1A entries were accepted.

There is a huge spread of teams who will be competing at FS 2010, including several rookie teams which should be celebrated.

Unfortunately there aren't enough slots for teams at many FS / FSAE events and so the organisers are never going to please everyone.

I for one am very grateful to all the organisers and volunteers who serve to put on terrific world class events for our young engineers.

Kind regards,

Howard
    Dr Howard Ash
    University of Hertfordshire
    www.racing.herts.ac.uk

Dear Dr. Ash,

as I was saying, I am by no means complaining about the selection, I just wanted to chime in to the "gossip" around the factors for nominating a team in the FSUK event.

I am also very grateful that there are people around that make these competitions the way they are - a fantastic eyperience for soon-to-be-engineers as myself!

In reply to your statement: As the teams for FSUK have been chosen by a committee, you can not really compare the outcome of this selection process with the list of registered teams of any other competition. No one else but the teams themselves had any influence on the outcome of the registration quiz at FSG for example.

I am also not by any means saying that it is wrong to give a large percentage of slots to home teams. In fact I even suggested that to the FSG steering committee last year, when my team failed to register. Your point concerning the stakeholders hits it quite precisely...

So again, please don't get me wrong!

Kind regards,
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

Now: Scruitineer, Design Judge, application engineer @Altair engineering

Whatever you do, do it hard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3