+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: FS UK registration process

I bet all of you who would like to attend the FS UK event next year have already heard of the strange registration process the organisers have come up with. If you didn't, here is a quote of the most important parts:

"Due to the over subscription of teams last year, the online registration process will consist of a selection process for 2010. Registration forms will be accepted 11-15 January. Please note that it will not be a ‘first come, first served’ basis, as previous years. Following 15 January, all registration forms will be reviewed and teams will find out if their application has been successful on 22 January."

"2. Selection process
    15-22 January: The FS Steering Group will select 100 cars to invite. "

What do you think about that? Can you imagine how it must feel when you are denied to enter the competition for whatever reason you cannot figure out?

In my opinion, the way it used to be (fist come first serve) was not ideal either, but at least teams kind of had it in their own hands if they could manage to register or not.
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

Now: Scruitineer, Design Judge, application engineer @Altair engineering

Whatever you do, do it hard!

I bet all of you who would like to attend the FS UK event next year have already heard of the strange registration process the organisers have come up with. If you didn't, here is a quote of the most important parts:

"Due to the over subscription of teams last year, the online registration process will consist of a selection process for 2010. Registration forms will be accepted 11-15 January. Please note that it will not be a ‘first come, first served’ basis, as previous years. Following 15 January, all registration forms will be reviewed and teams will find out if their application has been successful on 22 January."

"2. Selection process
    15-22 January: The FS Steering Group will select 100 cars to invite. "

What do you think about that? Can you imagine how it must feel when you are denied to enter the competition for whatever reason you cannot figure out?

In my opinion, the way it used to be (fist come first serve) was not ideal either, but at least teams kind of had it in their own hands if they could manage to register or not.
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

In my opinion this is the worst solution to deal with the problem of over subscription.

First-come-first-serve or the rules quiz they're make for FSG (which was my idea by the way ;-)) are much better solutions. Like that every team has a chance to compete.

They don't even tell by which criterias they are planning to choose the teams. Does that mean that a new founded team which of course doesn't have any succes from the past can't compete because the organizers don't know the team. Or does that mean that new teams with new members can't attend because of bad performance by previous teams?

That's like Italy was in the past, but even the organizers there recognized that this isn't the way you should handle that...
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

Hi guys,
    I agree that this is the worst solution, and I also think that the solution with quiz is not so great idea (NHF). I think that if you (team) are planing to build a car like formula student is, you must be sure that you will compete with that car. We all know what a job is to build one FS car and we all know how expensive is to built it. I do not want to write how much time is needed because we all know that. So my opinion is that number of teams must be unlimited for all competitions. Last year our team wrote an e-mail to Fiona in which we said that the number of teams must be unlimited because it is only fair. She said that it is expensive to organize FS event, and paying the judges, rent a track etc. But how expensive is to build a FS car, what a time is spend to design and build it, and how much motivation for work you lose if you fail on registration? What will I tell to sponsors, why I failed, because of 10sec delay on registration..? Registration fee for FS Uk is £1,292.50 which is for our team big money, and it is more bigger because it is not refundable if you give up. So lot of money for build a car is our student money. I hope that you don't have problems like we have. And after all that who guarantees that we will be successfully registered into any of the competition..? I think that with registration fee of £1,292.50 and with six months time, they have enough time to organize themselve for unlimited number of teams, what will result compleatly fair competition.

Cheers

First of all you should accept that the organizers of all competition are volunteers who are spending their free time to make FSAE possible at all. So you should be really careful about the way you are talking to them.

The second thing is, that everybody agrees that an unlimited number of teams at all competitions would be the best and most desireable solution, but unfortunately completely unrealistic.
    If more teams attend at an event you need more space, more volunteers, more money (yes registration fee is expensive but still not at all enough to fund such a competition) and so on.

If you reach a certain number of teams you will also get into trouble running all the dynamic events within two days.
    In the end it comes down to the fact that it is just not possible to have an unlimited number of teams at a single event. What we need is a system like in the US which makes sure that every team can attend at least at one event.
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart

Formula Student Austria

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">University and Faculty don't give us money for project because they are all brain sick, corrupted people who think only on his own ass. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bippi,
    I usually ignore anon rant posts, but when something as unpleasant as this is posted, I have to take the opportunity to tell you to Get Fuc*ed!

You are a selfish prat and attitudes like yours are why organisers make the decision to 'invite' applicants to compete.
    With an attitude like this and a total disrespect for your faculty, your team would be the first to be struck off my list! Then in the following year when the team produced documentary evidence that they had beaten the crap out of you, they might again be considered!

At the moment all the major events are over subscribed so a solution has to be found. Regardless of the decision, teams are going to be hurt. From the organiser's perspective, taking 'First come first served' only to find a significant number of teams turn up with both a disgraceful effort of a car and an even worse attitude, they think "Oh dear, we knocked back some really deserving teams to let these clowns take up a space". I suspect this description fits your team!

I think it is a great idea to invite the applicants to compete, knowing the quality and attitude will be good and the competition will improve. If your team isn't good enough, then get your act together and compete next year.
    FS/FSAE is a service provided to enhance your education. It is NOT motorsport and teams have no god given right to a start.

The competition mirrors real life. When a company calls for expressions of interest, they then cull the list before asking for tenders. That's how life is in the big dog eat dog world after school. Get used to it and get your attitude straight.

Meanwhile, just hide behind your clown handle and whinge that life isn't fair. You are right! It isn't!

Pat Clarke
    (currently involved with FSG, FSUK, FSAE and FSAEA .....That's a lot of competitions you are jeopardising for your team)
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

At the moment all the major events are over subscribed so a solution has to be found. Regardless of the decision, teams are going to be hurt. From the organiser's perspective, taking 'First come first served' only to find a significant number of teams turn up with both a disgraceful effort of a car and an even worse attitude, they think "Oh dear, we knocked back some really deserving teams to let these clowns take up a space". I suspect this description fits your team!

I think it is a great idea to invite the applicants to compete, knowing the quality and attitude will be good and the competition will improve. If your team isn't good enough, then get your act together and compete next year.
    FS/FSAE is a service provided to enhance your education. It is NOT motorsport and teams have no god given right to a start.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with the points made in the above statement, BUT: How on earth are you going to judge the quality of a car or team when the car is not already built? You can only judge on previous achievements of one team, but that can only be done by assuming that the team in this year is just as well or badly organised as it has been the year before. This can lead to mis-judgement in the case that in one team the members have been completely interchanged. The other, more important case would be that you would kind of deny any further developement of a given team which has performed badly in the previous year ad have now "got their act together".

Well, I hope the organisation comittee of FSUK will come up with a better method of determining a team's performability.
    Lutz Dobrowohl
    2008-2011
    Raceyard Kiel

Lutz. I'll let you into a little secret.

It's NOT about the car ;-)

Pat :-)
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

So it's about the team I guess (what makes sense). But I still have to agree with Luniz. What if one year there is a team basically consisiting of clowns who ruin the reputation of the team and the next year there are almost only new team members.
    These new members don't get a chance because of the clowns who aren't within the team anymore?

In the end you're right, no matter which procedure is chosen. Every team which can't attend will be disappointed and say that it isn't fair and so on.
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart

Formula Student Austria

Other than maybe Pat, does anyone on here hav any idea what the selection criteria will be? For all we know they could be choosing the teams that are in the most need of help, or teams that were not able to register for other events, such as the quick filling FS-Germany and FSAE-Michigan (which both register before FS-UK). There are endless possibilities. It doesn't seem to be worth freaking out about at this point.

But, I am surprised that they have chosen to keep the selection criteria a secret. I don't see the advantage of creating such a large information void, as it obviously creates a lot of tension and anxiety. Perhaps they have a perfectly good reason for doing this.
    Chris Patton
    Vehicle Dynamics
    Global Formula Racing '10-'12
    OSU Beaver Racing '05-'09

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast