+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Status 2013

We're currently coming off our best recruitment we've ever had. We now have over 20 solid contributing members and almost 30 that consistently show up to meetings. And even more exciting (for me anyway!) is that we actually have enough new members for an actual chassis TEAM, and not just me doing everything. So I expect a lot of new developments to come out of this year in driver ergo and controls.

We'll be getting our frame tubing in a few weeks, and that'll go out shortly after for laser cutting. We're also currently tearing down and cleaning up our race engine in preparation for our new ECU which was just ordered yesterday from the UK.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

Out of curiosity, what ecu are you guys going to be running?

Originally posted by RobbyObby:
    We're currently coming off our best recruitment we've ever had. We now have over 20 solid contributing members and almost 30 that consistently show up to meetings. And even more exciting (for me anyway!) is that we actually have enough new members for an actual chassis TEAM, and not just me doing everything. So I expect a lot of new developments to come out of this year in driver ergo and controls.

We'll be getting our frame tubing in a few weeks, and that'll go out shortly after for laser cutting. We're also currently tearing down and cleaning up our race engine in preparation for our new ECU which was just ordered yesterday from the UK.

We'll be running the DTA S80 Pro.

Originally posted by Cardriverx:
    Out of curiosity, what ecu are you guys going to be running?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RobbyObby:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our quick update,

We have one of the latest start dates I know of, class doesn't start until the 24th. That said, our leads and returning members have been hard at work over the summer finishing all of the top level design, but many new members have yet to even meet the team...

I like the quarter system educationally, but it certainly doesn't lend itself to FSAE
    Daniel Wageman
    University of Washington FSAE
    Team 19: Chassis/Data Acq
    Team 20: Data Acq Lead
    Team 21: Engine, Power Package
    Team 22-24: Technical Director

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobbyObby:
    We'll be running the DTA S80 Pro.

I'm sure that you have looked into it, but if you are not going to use all the features that the S80 pro provides the S60 does the same thing with the same pinouts for the engine management at half the price.
    WWU FSAE
    2010-2011 Chassis/Welder
    2011-2012 Tech Director
    2012-2014 Project Manager/Welder

I'm not familiar with all the details since I'm just a lowly chassis guy... but I do know our Powertrain team did an extensive comparative case study before they decided on the S80. One big reason we're using the DTA is because it interfaces well with the AIM EVO IV data logger that we're running to make use of the logger's larger onboard data storage to log engine data (RPM and wheel speed mainly). I believe the S80 has more options for sending outputs from the ECU. The S60 also only has inputs for 1 wheel speed sensor, while the S80 can accomodate 4 (which me may or may not take advantage of...spoiler alert).

But again, I'm a chassis guy. Engines alone scare me, much less engine management and electronics, so take all this with a grain of salt.

On a side note, more akin to the original topic, we just booked our accommodations for Michigan! Yes, we are that prepared!

Kansas State Design is Frozen. On to manufacturing.
    Eric Cunningham
    Powercat Motorsports
    President
    You can't make a racehorse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig.

University of Central Florida just entered manufacturing month. Chassis is being welded, were firing up the CNC, and design is 95% complete. We have been plagued with an onslaught of new members with very little to keep them occupied, and were reaching the size limits of our team now.
    Stephen Rodi
    University of Central Florida
    Formula Team Leader

How's everyone coming along with their cars?

We've had a succesful recruitment season (we have new members in July and October with our weird rotating co-op program), and recruited 4 freshman in July, and still have a good portion interested this term (though we'll see what happens when greek bids go out).

We have our MRH and FRH bent, and FBH ready to go. Pretty much all fixtures are good from the MRH forward. People have been sparatically showing up to the shop, so things have been moving kind of slowly. Hopefully we can get people down this weekend to knock out the front half of the frame.
    Adam
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Kettering University, it's students and administrators, or our sponsors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast