+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what criteria that i've to know to select a master cylinder?

This is a first year of my team.I already have a rotor and caliper for disc brake but I want to know how to match a master cylinder size and caliper cylinder size.
    -

This is a first year of my team.I already have a rotor and caliper for disc brake but I want to know how to match a master cylinder size and caliper cylinder size.
    -

F=MA
    plus pressure and bore ratios

there are a few good posts on this topic from 2-3 yrs ago
    Red & Blue Racing '08

It really has a lot to do with what you're trying to achieve, and what mechanical advantage you want the pedal to have.

A lot of teams use a simple 4:1 ratio, however there are also teams that have almost a 1:1 with much smaller master cylinders. Why? a 1:1 ratio will give almost 100% efficiency from the force of the foot, onto the master cylinders itself, reducing, almost eliminating energy lost in the pedal due to bending. I'm not sure how much you want to get into it, but it's definitely something you can look into

http : //www.formulastudent.de/fileadmin/user_upload/all/2011/Academy / muSymposium/ muSymposium2010_English . pdf

I have never seen someone run a 1:1 ratio for brakes in this competition. If there is someone out there, please correct me and supply pictures.

If you are referring to master cylinders where they are angled (not perpendicular) relative to the pedal and where the master cylinder 'connects' behind the pedal face, then I suggest you work through the calculations to determine the real mechanical advantage, both through motion ratios and force balances. They are not 1:1.

If you were indeed running a 1:1 pedal ratio, your force multiplication would come from (everything else being ignored here) the ratio of areas between the master cylinders and the calipers. Of course, by trying to do this you instantly increase pedal travel during the initial movement of the pads.

Energy lost in the pedal due to bending?

It's a statics problem. If you're having significant enough pedal deflection to notice spongy brake application, you need a stiffer brake pedal.
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

Thank you for all respond.

I try to equivalent a volume of a brake fluid in master cylinder and in caliper cylinder but I think it quite a bit wrong because if both of volume are equal it's mean I've to push a master cylinder full stroke for a brake start to operate.

Can I use a brake fluid volume analysis to match the size of them?

F = MA plus pressure and bore ratios
    Bore ratios = caliper cylinder size/master cylinder size is it right?
    And how to use this equation to calculate? please tell me a detail.
    -

Do you know that there is a paper on the Formula student germany web site that is named: How to make a correct design and layout of your brake system?

You should also read all the articles from Pat's Corner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast