+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MotionRatio and pushrod/spring angle

Hi,
    Motion Ratio is defined as MR=wheeltravel/springtravel.
    Now I have no confusion if my pushrod/spring is perpendicular to my lower wishbone. But when it is inclined at an angle, how does it affect the motion ratio?
    RCVD does not talk about inclined coil springs.
    Carroll smith(Tune to Win)says it to be the wheeltravel to spring deflection ratio.
    And another worksheet I found at this link:

http://performance-suspension....pensionworksheet.pdf

keeps motion ratio as the ratios of distance from the chassis pivot point of the lower wishbone, and introduces an ACF(angle correction factor) while calculating Wheel/spring rate, which RCVD and Tune to Win do not.

Is the approach followed in the worksheet right?
    What I primarily wish to know is that on keeping the wheel rate fixed, will the spring rate change on inclining the spring?

Sorry if these questions seem trivial.
    Thanks in Advance.

I have never encountered the Angle Correction Factor mentioned before. As far as the formula's I've studied, Motion Ratio is simply Z-displacement of the wheel divided by linear shock travel, regardless of the orientation of the shock, or the type of suspension.
    The worksheet provided looks to be summarizing the general case where the spring/damper is mounted directly to the outer ball joint, i.e. no push/pull rod or rockers.
    However, I am by no means a suspension guy, so someone feel free to chime in with more insight.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

I am not quite sure I understand the question? Are your springs direct actuated (no rocker)? In which case, are you asking how to do trigonometry?

Originally posted by JDS:
    I am not quite sure I understand the question? Are your springs direct actuated (no rocker)? In which case, are you asking how to do trigonometry?
    My question is "What is the correct definition of Motion Ratio?"
    Does it incorporate the inclination of the spring or only the position where it is mounted?

Say I have a direct actuated spring mounted at the hub at an angle of 60 degrees with the wishbone.
    Is my Motion Ratio 1:1 or 1:sin60?
    The method in the above mentioned worksheet by "eibach springs" confused me.

I am designing the suspension for the first time. Hence I want to make sure my approach is not wrong.
    Any help is appreciated.

GRAM
    Ratna Mitheysh
    Camber Racing | SRM University
    www.camberracing.com

My question is "What is the correct definition of Motion Ratio?"
    Does it incorporate the inclination of the spring or only the position where it is mounted?

Say I have a direct actuated spring mounted at the hub at an angle of 60 degrees with the wishbone.
    Is my Motion Ratio 1:1 or 1:sin60?
    The method in the above mentioned worksheet by "eibach springs" confused me.

I am designing the suspension for the first time. Hence I want to make sure my approach is not wrong.
    Any help is appreciated.

Motion ratio isn't always defined the same way, usually it's wheel-travel / spring travel, but it is sometimes reversed, so spring travel / wheel-travel. It doesn't matter which you use, as long as you are consistent in your calculations. The spring travel number you are looking for is how much the spring compresses along the centerline axis. So yes, for a direct actuated spring you could get an approximation of travel using the appropriate trig function based on the angle of the spring.

If you look at the spreadsheet it just says that the ACF is simply defined as the angle between the shock and direction of suspension travel. So it is simple trig. And I am ashamed to admit that there was a year we forgot that...

For a direct-acting shock it is exactly as described there, while when using rockers, use the angle to the pushrod or pullrod.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

Shouldn't the ACF be squared??
    My effective force on the spring changes and so does my spring compression.
    Correction for both should give me an ACF squared right?
    Ratna Mitheysh
    Camber Racing | SRM University
    www.camberracing.com

Originally posted by GRAM:
    Shouldn't the ACF be squared??
    My effective force on the spring changes and so does my spring compression.
    Correction for both should give me an ACF squared right?
    The spring compresses because the force acting along the spring has changed. Hence, it shouldn't be squared.
    Ashwa Racing '07- Random guy
    Ashwa Racing '08-Procurement, Workshop Management
    Ashwa Racing '09- Chassis and Suspension Intern, Bodywork guy
    Ashwa Racing '10- Chassis lead, Suspension, Bodywork guy
    Ashwa Racing '11- Team Management

The force required to lift your wheel centers is directly related to spring force (not counting friction, arb's etc...) and the force required to compress the spring is directly related to spring travel. That should be all you need to know.

you have to take angel in consideration in case of no push/pull rod

Alexandria University Motorsports
    AUMotorsports
    2012 Design Head
    2013 Design Head

hope for the best, plan for the worst

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast