+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Larger dia front tires

is there any problem occurs if i use larger dia front tires than the rear tire for RVD?
    Vignesh.B

First you must ask yourself,

What is the theory behind this?

then,

why do I need larger front tires?
    why could this be a good idea?

Then,

Why should I not do this?
    Why could this be a bad idea?

Then,

What are the alternative solutions that may exist?

EDIT: just a few words, was running out to dinner and didn't realize it sent. :P
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

Vignesh,
    There is nothing to stop you using larger front tyres.....But remember this!
    Larger tyres will mean the car will always be going uphill! This will slow you down, use more fuel and possibly cause the engine to overheat.

A better idea is to put the big wheels on the back, and when the car breaks, as it assuredly will, then you can roll downhill all the way to the finish line (and getting great fuel economy)!

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Originally posted by PatClarke:
    Vignesh,
    There is nothing to stop you using larger front tyres.....But remember this!
    Larger tyres will mean the car will always be going uphill! This will slow you down, use more fuel and possibly cause the engine to overheat.

A better idea is to put the big wheels on the back, and when the car breaks, as it assuredly will, then you can roll downhill all the way to the finish line (and getting great fuel economy)!

Pat
    But Pat, wouldn't it only be going uphill if the vehicle in question was in Austrauila?? Anywhere else, wouldn't it be going downhill? That is as long as Jupiter is on the opposite side of the Sun as Mercury is. If not, all bets are off.

Zips Racing 2009-2014
    Jorts and Tank-top model 2013-2014

Is this why the cars in NASCAR have bigger tires on the right side of the car? The car will go faster when turning left which is all that is required for NASCAR?
    Macke

I would do the opposite, larger diameter rear tyres. For a given distance driven by the car, the fronts will do more revolutions. This will help warmup.

Regards, Ian

One problem you will need to undress is that you now need two spare tires, one for each size.

If you make use of 4 different sized tires, it will be easier to borrow a spare from another team.

Bill,

I would rather you hadn't let that secret out!
    How else are the Aussies going to trash all visitors when they now know our secrets?

And, Dmacke...You got it! Messes them up on road courses though.

PC
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Who needs swagger, when you got stagger?

Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Originally posted by BillCobb:
    One problem you will need to undress is that you now need two spare tires, one for each size.

If you make use of 4 different sized tires, it will be easier to borrow a spare from another team.
    bonus points if you spec the tires as asymmetric and directional.

+ Reply to Thread