+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What it takes to build a groundbreaking car

What does it take to build a really kickass car? A lot of determination. I present to you what I hope will be a Pulitzer-winning photo documentary of Lehigh FSAE at their finest.

Demonstrating that dedication is our own John Janick, putting his considerible blowing experience to good use in locating an intake leak.

Next, we have a highly sensitive evaluation of our front impact structure.

The test subject...

The applied load...

Team Alpha is ready to go!

Ouch! Glad that wasn't my car!

Test concluded. Conclusion: Welding paper-thin waterjetted aluminum into a complex lattice structure without jigging or heat treating is, in fact, an excellent way for making squishable crush zones. However, in a frontal impact with an MSC catalog our car would he hurting.

Thanks for watching! Our car may not run and we may have just trashed our only engine, but don't play chicken with us in the pits, or we will knock you the fuck out...
    Lehigh Formula SAE 1999-2004

What does it take to build a really kickass car? A lot of determination. I present to you what I hope will be a Pulitzer-winning photo documentary of Lehigh FSAE at their finest.

Demonstrating that dedication is our own John Janick, putting his considerible blowing experience to good use in locating an intake leak.

Next, we have a highly sensitive evaluation of our front impact structure.

The test subject...

The applied load...

Team Alpha is ready to go!

Ouch! Glad that wasn't my car!

Test concluded. Conclusion: Welding paper-thin waterjetted aluminum into a complex lattice structure without jigging or heat treating is, in fact, an excellent way for making squishable crush zones. However, in a frontal impact with an MSC catalog our car would he hurting.

Thanks for watching! Our car may not run and we may have just trashed our only engine, but don't play chicken with us in the pits, or we will knock you the fuck out...

Thanks Angry Joe!!

I appreciated your photo documentary. Your subtle use of sarcasm was well received. I laughed out load.

How did the engine get trashed?
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

Angry Joe,

I think that we can give you a run for your money. We started a tradition around here last year that we call "The Wall of Fame". You get your picture on the wall if youve been photographed doing something noteworthy. In general, the inductees have displayed the type of thinking that can be recognized as innovative. We are trying to set up a traveling art exhibit to go on tour next month. Maybe our works will appear at a gallery near you.

I present exhibit #1:
    We had recently completed our carbon fiber intake manifold. The designer was confident that the flow to all cylinders would be equal. It wasn't worth the hassle to hook up to our unreliable flow bench. The idea was to use a visual flow medium to gauge the flow patterns through the manifold. The obvious choice was cigarette smoke. One of our team members with iron lungs took one hell of a toke and blew the smoke in. The results were very encouraging. Flow appeared to be even to all cylinders.

I should mention that most of the events that we honor have taken place after long stretches without sleep.

More pictures of us at our finest will follow.

What engine are you guys running? We will have some spare F3 stuff with us in Detroit.

(edit was to fix link to picture)
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE 01 to 05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

Thanks. Made me spit milk all over my monitor...

So what is the total energy absorbed by the crush zone? And now that you've crushed it, are you going to use the book instead?

As for the visual flow testing... that is classic. Took off a few years of his life, but well worth it
    McGill Racing Team 2003 - 2004
    Dawson College Baja 2009
    Concordia Formula Racing 2010 - current

Joe,

funniest thing I have seen in a while.
    Ethan Lessard
    Design Engineer
    Sigarms Inc

Team Captain Car 36 (2004)

UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

Here I sit wondering if we will have a running car at competition. This is the post that I needed to see. Now I know that there are others like us, and I had a damn good laugh.

see you at copetition, even if our car isn't running
    Bill

Thanks for the engine offer. We are running a single though...yamaha 426...its doing battle (and losing) with an aftermarket electric starter. On the bright side...if we can get the engine back up we'll be the only guys running under 300 lbs.

Brilliant crush testing. We did something very similar, but with a slightly bigger load.

It's amazing that a few loops of .040" safety wire can suspend 320lb. of weight plates.

I'll have to see if there's a pic of that floating around. It's amusing, and proved incontrovertibly that the aluminum box thing I designed three years ago, well, sucks. But we already knew that.

And James - best bong ever. I must make one.
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

Joe, your pictures aren't loading...i wanna see!
    Adam R. Reinke
    Northern Illinois University FSAE '02 '03 '04
    BorgWarner Turbo Systems '04 - Current

+ Reply to Thread