+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a car?

Hi,

We were caught out by the 20 minute scramble to register for east. Long story short, we're going to California and we're in Nova Scotia. Has anyone had any experience shipping their cars to competition and if so how? Trucking companies have not been very helpful so far but I'm looking at rail. We were planning to take a truck when we were going to Detroit....but it's a very long drive to California. Thanks for the help.
    Jon
    Team Leader
    Dalhousie FSAE
    www.me.dal.ca/fsae

Hi,

We were caught out by the 20 minute scramble to register for east. Long story short, we're going to California and we're in Nova Scotia. Has anyone had any experience shipping their cars to competition and if so how? Trucking companies have not been very helpful so far but I'm looking at rail. We were planning to take a truck when we were going to Detroit....but it's a very long drive to California. Thanks for the help.
    Jon
    Team Leader
    Dalhousie FSAE
    www.me.dal.ca/fsae

You should just crate it and then say you have a crate that is L x W x H that weighs XXX pounds and see what shipping companies say then.

The train companies will ask the same things.

Also, don't be afraid to check into FedEx or UPS... they offer custom trucking solutions for stuff just like this
    -----------------------------------------
    http://www.audacitydesign.com

University of Tennessee FSAE Team Principle 2006-2008

It might be better idea to decide on a shipping company and build a crate to their specs, since many companies often have standard sizes before you waste time making your own. We (U of M ann arbor) shipped our car by boat to Japan and it is necessary to line the insides with plastic to prevent rust. this may not be an issue across the rails but better safe than sorry.

Also, don't skimp on the bracing, the crates have to be picked up by forklifts.

we built a custom crate for our car to go to Germany in August. DHL was quite helpful with shipping details. They might be able to get the car moved for you with minimal hassle (still lots of work). Got pictures of the crate build if you think they will help i can email them to ya, just give me an address.
    Bret
    Windsor FSAE
    www.fsae.uwindsor.ca

We shipped our car from Venezuela with FEDEX, they were very helpful, try visiting your local FEDEX and see how can they help you.

Bret, if you could e-mail me those pics. masp1810.at.yahoo.com

I also have pics of our crate, just tell me where to send them
    Manu

Hi Jon

ABCO/Cole

The company goes by both names. They seem to have offices across Canada. They were responsible for shipping our car to England 4 of the last 5 years. We've gone by air and sea with them. They are really helpful

We had a custom crate made (probably best option) but depending on the country you are shipping to there are fumigation standards (I don't know what the US ones are). If you ship by ground you need PAPS. This is a new bar coding system the US put in place May of last year (either the shipper or your University should have this in place already). If you ship by ground without PAPS expect delays.

Also a Carnet (www.chamber.ca) is really useful and expedites going through customs (ask shipper about this).

Our trip to East is just a rental truck but for shipping to England we have had to consider pick-up, delivery, drop-off and storage costs. Also by air you can't pack a fire extinguisher, and you may need a dangerous goods form (for oil, cleaners etc).

Of note when shipping back: remove all cloth or place in water-tight bag/container
    We have had more problems with mold not rust.

Zanini

Thanks for the tips, I'll certainly look into those. Most companies I've talked to so far don't really understand what the car is for/etc and it has been a bit of a hassle so far. If anyone would like to send me pictures send here fsae@dal.ca
    Thanks
    Jon
    Team Leader
    Dalhousie FSAE
    www.me.dal.ca/fsae

email sent to Jon and Mangel
    Bret
    Windsor FSAE
    www.fsae.uwindsor.ca

Wow, Halifax is 15hrs by car from Montreal, and California is maybe 4 days away from Montreal... ouch, have a good drive.

And nice car on your webpage!

Matt Gignac
    McGill Racing Team

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast