+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel tank design

can anybody let me know whether we should use plastic as a flexible material for designing fuel tank? Plz help me.

(A) If you aren't sure from the rules, you can always ask the rules committee.

(B) Make sure the plastic is fuel compatible.

(C) Punctures in a flexible material is something you should worry about (from rocks, stones, other sharp things).

(D) How do you plan on mounting said flexible plastic

(E) This is FSAE.com gallery -- not open discussion. Just sayin....

I'd personally stick with a thin welded aluminum tank....

Ben

Why are you using Al? Is it not heavier?

Fabricating a custom shaped aluminum tank isn't too difficult to do. We can therefore package a different size and shape tank than a purchased version.

There is also the point that aluminum isn't probably going to degrade due to fuel exposure comparatively to many plastics.

Protip: After welding your aluminum tank, you will pressure test your tank, probably finding some pinhole leaks. Closing them by welding is an option, but there are penetrating loctites that will close up pinholes very well with minimal effort.

Good Luck!

Ben

Thanks for your suggestions, they are really helpful.
    Can u plz provide a pic of ur fuel tank? Otherwise if you can help me about mounting points?

Originally posted by Ben K:
    Protip: After welding your aluminum tank, you will pressure test your tank, probably finding some pinhole leaks. Closing them by welding is an option, but there are penetrating loctites that will close up pinholes very well with minimal effort.
    Ben
    I hate to continue a thread like this but I have to ask is that Loctite 290 you used? How many years have you done this and has it ever broken down in fuel? Have you tried it with e-85?
    Iowa State University
    Cyclone Racing

Alumni '15-∞
    Senior Advisor '15
    Technical Director '13, '14
    Chassis Team Leader '12, '13
    Member '11

+ Reply to Thread